Pond tour next 2 weekends for the Chicago area

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I usually try to attend at least part of this pond tour every year. People are very friendly and are happy to discuss their ponds. You have to buy the book that costs $25 to attend, but once you have it there is no limit on how many people go. My favorite one is the pond where they also grow their own hops and brew their own homemade craft beer!

http://www.mpks.org/calendar/pond-tour-maps-2014.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks John, How embarrassing that it posted it more than once. I guess my wife is correct in thinking that I'm not perfect!! Thanks to whoever fixed it. Fishylove it may be a little confusing but the list are not the actual ponds on tour. It is only the places you can buy book that lists the homeowners that have opened their ponds to the public. You can't get the list without buying the book. The tour is sponsored by the Midwest Pond and Koi Society. From what I understand all the ponds are within an hours drive or so of Chicago. Re:St Charles, there is a western suburb of Chicago with that name. It is very pretty with a lots of hills and a river that runs through it.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would like to see some pics of Chicago ponds !
I hope you go Keith

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Dr. Case. Last year I didn't go because we were in Wisconsin most of the time but I have seen some amazing ponds in previous years. Hopefully I will go at least 2 out of the 4 possible days and I'll post a bunch of pictures. There is one I would like to see that the owner has 3 ponds and he also has a sculpture garden as part of his landscape.I have heard that he takes people on a tour of his grounds on a golf cart and he has a lot of the famous Chicago cows that were painted by artists a few years back in his garden.
https://www.google.com/search?q=chicago cows&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=fflb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=fvPBU5bbOcbD8AHO2oHwAw&ved=0CCMQsAQ&biw=1284&bih=575

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I would love to tour some homes. Chicago is about 8-9 hour from me, which isn't too awfully bad, would have to stay over night, I just haven't figured out what to do with my pig for the time I'm gone :love: My older kids are not fond of him nor he of them:ROFLMAO:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks for the clarification. I would love to tour some homes. Chicago is about 8-9 hour from me, which isn't too awfully bad, would have to stay over night, I just haven't figured out what to do with my pig for the time I'm gone :love: My older kids are not fond of him nor he of them:ROFLMAO:
You're talking about Tolbert now, right?! o_O
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I usually try to attend at least part of this pond tour every year. People are very friendly and are happy to discuss their ponds. You have to buy the book that costs $25 to attend, but once you have it there is no limit on how many people go. My favorite one is the pond where they also grow their own hops and brew their own homemade craft beer!

http://www.mpks.org/calendar/pond-tour-maps-2014.htm
That would be fun. I hope you go and take lots of pictures

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Robamy. Thanks I'm looking forward to it and will definitely be snapping away! Fishylove it would be cool if a bunch of us pond fanatics went touring the ponds together. We could rent a bus and driver and make a day or two of it. Oh and shame on your kids for not wanting to take care of your pig! 8-9 hours? You must be really far south. We recently drove to Cincinnati in less than 5 hours.

Reaction score
Robamy. Thanks I'm looking forward to it and will definitely be snapping away! Fishylove it would be cool if a bunch of us pond fanatics went touring the ponds together. We could rent a bus and driver and make a day or two of it. Oh and shame on your kids for not wanting to take care of your pig! 8-9 hours? You must be really far south. We recently drove to Cincinnati in less than 5 hours.
Ooo that would be fun! I'd love to do something like that. Yah I'm at almost the southern most tip of Indiana. We sometimes call this area Kentuckiana because of the horse track that's here. The race track is on what people would think is the Indiana side separated by the Ohio River. But actually the river banks and some farmland on Indiana side is owned by Kentucky :) go figure lol.
Chicago may be less than that now, it's been almost 20 years since I've been to Chicago. We can get to Indy now in 3 hours with the interstate.
Cincinnati is about 5-6 hours from here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We went to another 6 or 7 ponds today including something very interesting which was the pond at Koi Whisperer. It is a sanctuary for rescue and education about Koi and is involved in a number of programs about koi. Here are a few links for Koi Whisperer. They are open every weekend to the public. http://www.infraredlight.com/kwsfinal.html

Ask a Question