pond transformation

Reaction score
so i made my pond bigger and more natural looking.
take a look and tell me what you think;)
[ame]

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Small ponds can go bad real fast. It is hard to maintain the water quality with such low volume. It looks like you have room to expand. An EPDM liner will also make it look more natural.

Reaction score
you're gonna need a lot more rock, pete. Get some to overhang the edges of the pond if you can. It is going to be tough to hide that tarp...

Reaction score
I think you would be better off using a precast pond,you can get really good ones for 100GB Pounds,think that will be a bit more in US dollars,but not that much more.
Also the rough rocks are not good for fish as they should be smooth,even for goldfish.

If you are in Texas you should have nice weather? so have another go, as you sound a bit dissatisfied with the result.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi pete1047,

I have to agree with koiguy1969 about the blue liner, but I think you off to a good start. I put in a 365 gallon pre-formed pond in September of 2008 in the general shape of a butterfly. I wanted all of hoses, cords, and pumps to be out of site as much as possible. So I drew up several rough diagrams of what I wanted my pond to look like, and the pond has been changed and gradually evolved from there. My pump and filter are not in the pond, but in a reservor next to the pond connected with a skimmer type set up which is covered by a fake rock.

Your pond has a lot of potential, so don't give up. It looks you have room for modifications as you learn more and as you see fit. Feel free to ask questions here at the forum. I still have much to learn about ponding, and the more I learn the more I realize what I don't know.

Go to: www.picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Happy ponding,

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
I agree, toss the blue and go with a preform, I see them on Craigslist everyday for like 20.00 thats it. Dig it in, get a basket filter at HD, or make your own and you are on your way! Take the rocks out, believe it or not once everything grows a pretty coating of algea, black bottom looks better and are safer. Rocks just take up valuable space in a small pond. I'll post a pic of my first small pond...a prefab from a friend, I made a homemade filter submerged. You can get natural, but you have to place rocks or grasses to hide the liner
100_2589.jpg
The greatest way to get natural, is plant...plant...plant :) Around the pond:) :)

Reaction score
So I re-did my pond with a black pond liner. It looks
really good now! I'll have pics up soon. It's atleast
150gal now. All my friends seem to think it look a lot
better. It's still not perfect but it's a start!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
whats up pete...shoot some video put it youtube and link it here...video is better than pix, and you can give a little narration. look forward to seeing it

Ask a Question