Pond Upgrade

Reaction score
Wow, really good "food" for thought Waterbug, extremely well thought out. I think I've done a really great job on the 200g pond, so I'm hoping to do just as well with water quality on the bigger one, and I really hope that I can support a really nice school of koi. I really don't care about size, I want them to be bigger than fries, but how big they get doesn't really matter to me, and because of that I've been feeding only in the mornings since I fired up the pumps this spring. They've all grown very subtly, nothing extreme at all. I'm super happy with that. I've been thinking about feeding less to allow them to eat more algae, but in the new pond there is no algea so I'll probably have to do 3 times a day for most of this summer otherwise I'll have some dead fish and it won't be a mystery what killed them. I think I'm really happy with all of the decisions I've made so far, and the 6 butteflies I just ordered are definitely going to be welcom additions. Thanks.

Reaction score
You can feed fish very little and they generally survive OK. Even back to say once a week. The body behind the head can be used to adjust food. If they start to get a little round you can cut back on food. A stunted fish will appear to have a huge head for its body.

Holding back food for the first 2-3 years you can really reduce their max size. And of course the less food the greater the number of fish a pond can support.

Reaction score
My wife is pretty cool. As part of my next pond project she's OKed having at least one pond inside the house. But I don't think it makes sense to her, but she likes different things.
I bet she'll change her tune once you start digging the hole. :chair:

Ask a Question