Pond Vacuums ... Good, Better, Best ?

Reaction score
The thing I would want to know, do the snails, tads, etc survive the vacuum?
The Venturi vacs did collect goldfish, snails, etc. Same as using a net. They have to be picked out of the stuff and returned to the pond. The Venturi is mild. About the same violence as a net, maybe less. Shop vac is a different story.

And I only saw goldfish be sucked up in heavy mucked ponds. I think they're attracted to the bugs being stirred up and basically swim into the bag, vac or net. I had one goldfish that I'd find repeatedly in the bag.

A pond with snails I'd consider a wildlife pond which really shouldn't be cleaned imo.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A pond with snails I'd consider a wildlife pond which really shouldn't be cleaned imo.

lol I have snails, so I guess I should never clean the pond.............yuck it would be a mess in just a few years full of nasty smelling yuck that string algae loves to grow out of. Had that happen in my arizona pond. I just nicely pick out the snails, toss them back in.

Reaction score
Hi Ron,
Have you looked at the odyssey muck vacs at all. I may have missed something in your earlier posts but if you have decent water pressure from a garden hose you can pull some light stuff up with this without disturbing too much of what you want to keep at the bottom...snails, rocks, etc. But it will work well on light muck and debris. There is a discharge hose which you can put a mesh back over (something like cheesecloth) and strain the debris out and just run the discharge hose back into the pond. The same would go for any of the conventional pond vacs, like the pondovac 4, matala, etc...those that have discharge hoses could easily return water to the pond

Shop vacs of course don't do this, but they can be helpful if you don't have a lot to pick up.

Finally the other thing about the pondovac...it has a lot of different nozzle attachments so you can pick a really narrow one to limit how much you suction up. The biggest problem I've found is getting the right fit for what a person has at the bottom...some powered vacs are really powerful and you don't want to pick up too much, but by the same token for people trying to remove leaves, you have to have some decent suction.

Best wishes to you on this!

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I looked again and don't see any snails or other (critters). Perhaps my pond isn't as aged as yours and there isn't much in there that has overwintered... It is however dirty and the sediment on the bottom is bad enough to stop up my aeration fountain! I feel a need to clean... ROCKin ron. P.S.
I will repost when I see what kind of success I have with the Pond-o-vac 4 and my rigging...

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Please post a picture when you get your retrofitting set up and working. I have the pond-o-vac 4 and have used it once. It has a really good vacuum, and it picked up whatever I needed it to, but I was hesitant to put all that mucky water back into the pond, so used up a lot of good water in the process, I would love to see what you do with additional filtration before it is cycled back in.

Ask a Question