small pond vacuums

Reaction score
Yo, Folks!

I am a newbie on the forum, but I have been trying to set up a stable pond for the past ten years or so, with varying degrees of lack of success. What I have now is in the front yard, and measures about 4'X6', maybe 16" deep. For plants, I have a plastic tub with water lilies, cattails, and a flower my sister-in-law gave me, some sort of iris, I think. The fish are a robust family of dime store goldfish, which I have had for years.

My problem is, the yard borders on some woods, and very close to the pond is a beautiful Mimosa that smells delightful at this time of year, but which generates much detritus, a great deal of which ends up in my little fishpool.

Obviously, the crud must be removed from the water. About two years ago, I bought one of those PVC siphon jobbies which connect to the garden hose. Its performance was less than stellar. I have done web searches, hoping to find an electric pump to do the operation. The results produced only ads for very large machines, around $250-$300, which are much more powerful than that which I think I need.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can buy a wet dry vac. They work pretty good. They are heavy when full but has wheels and drain.
kwtank41 said:
Yo, Folks!

I am a newbie on the forum, but I have been trying to set up a stable pond for the past ten years or so, with varying degrees of lack of success. What I have now is in the front yard, and measures about 4'X6', maybe 16" deep. For plants, I have a plastic tub with water lilies, cattails, and a flower my sister-in-law gave me, some sort of iris, I think. The fish are a robust family of dime store goldfish, which I have had for years.

My problem is, the yard borders on some woods, and very close to the pond is a beautiful Mimosa that smells delightful at this time of year, but which generates much detritus, a great deal of which ends up in my little fishpool.

Obviously, the crud must be removed from the water. About two years ago, I bought one of those PVC siphon jobbies which connect to the garden hose. Its performance was less than stellar. I have done web searches, hoping to find an electric pump to do the operation. The results produced only ads for very large machines, around $250-$300, which are much more powerful than that which I think I need.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I had bought one of those vacs that connect to hose last year and it was a real waste of money because it did not do the job. I never thought of a wet/dry vac. I already have that. I think I might give that a try this afternoon. Thanks for the advice.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if your gonna use a wet /dry vac...and you like its effectiveness why not install a flush valve setup that will accept a hose that you can run to where you would like the debris to end up.?..no wheelling the vac around to dump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I do have a waste pump on mine that I got from sears.
koiguy1969 said:
if your gonna use a wet /dry vac...and you like its effectiveness why not install a flush valve setup that will accept a hose that you can run to where you would like the debris to end up.?..no wheelling the vac around to dump.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Do you know if the accessory for the vacuum works/fits only with the Sears Craftsman models? This solves a problem that I was pondering.If it keeps the vacuum from topping off, that would be great.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
According to the reviews written one person used it with their rigid vacuum, so it appears it will work with more than just sears

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You vac until the vac stops then you turn on the discharge pump.
They both don't run at the same time.

Reaction score
I wonder if there is any sort of pump, other than something which works with a shop vac. I'm thinking about some sort of device with a lift of a couple feet, and an intake large enough to handle the crud on the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You could probably use any pump if the water was clean or use a pump with a priming pot.

Ask a Question