Pond with green water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The garden pond water has changed colour to green I thought it was suspended particles I have treated it with a solution bought from pond keeper. But it is not clearing at sll. The fish are healthy swimming around we have oxygenation plants in there and water lillies. We have emptied the water out and refilled it up again. Still green! could it be we need to put something in there once we filled it via the hose pipe? Many thanks

Attachments

• 20230828_083833.jpg
    20230828_083833.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 7

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Draining and refilling, it will just keep being green. Not a good thing to do. The Pond needs to reset each time.

Usually a sign of excess nutrients. More plants will help. I never have green water, but also filter with a big bog. Plant filled filter.

How big is your pond, how many fish, how long has it been running.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum!

Draining and refilling, it will just keep being green. Not a good thing to do. The Pond needs to reset each time.

Usually a sign of excess nutrients. More plants will help. I never have green water, but also filter with a big bog. Plant filled filter.

How big is your pond, how many fish, how long has it been running.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi the pond is 3×4 roughly
about 3 koi and 65 gold fish small tench pump/filter runs all the time thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Read up on the nitrogen cycle, and it may help you understand. It’s a natural, normal process, and like @addy1 said, each time you clear out the pond, this process is started all over again. You have to let it run its course. If you have a water test kit, check your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. “Green” happens because of excess nutrients in the water and the nitrogen cycle is how the pond deals with it. Sometimes we call it “new pond syndrome.” Your water may be under filtered (biological), and/or your fish load may be too high for the bio filtration to deal with it. Koi produce a lot of waste.

Since you are in the UK, I have to ask if 3x4 is feet or meters?

BTW, adding chemicals can only make it worse. Add some plants, instead.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome10.gif
@berniec6
I don't add chemicals and I don't do water changes,only top off the water when the heat evaporates it. You just need to be patient and add lots of plants to suck up all the extra nutrients your fish are adding. I hope you are referring to meters and not feet. Even so 65 fish is quite a lot and they are the ones making it so difficult for you to get clearer water. If you lower your fish load it would be much easier and safer for you fish and your water to clear up.

Ask a Question