Pond without liner

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am completely new to ponds so please excuse me if any of my questions are obvious.

I have a drainage pond which was dug about 8 years ago, it was 4 feet at the deepest then but is now only about a foot deep because the bottom has become filled with leaves and debris over the years. It is 15x30 feet.

1. Could I re dig this pond to be deeper and have it hold water without a liner? I live in an area which was a former gravel pit and we have clay soil.
2. Can I have goldfish in a more natural pond like this? I won’t be able to have power out there but I could use solar air pumps.
3. Can goldfish be kept with native sunfish?

For reference, I am experienced with planted aquariums and have a decent understanding of the nitrogen cycle and fish care.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bentonite clay will hold water but it will almost never be clear water. Regular clay won't hold water - it will seep through it eventually.

As long as the water chemistry (ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH, hardness) are within healthy levels goldfish should do fine. You'll want filtration and a way to oxygenate the water somehow.

I don't know anything about sunfish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bentonite clay will hold water but it will almost never be clear water. Regular clay won't hold water - it will seep through it eventually.
Not so. The right clay will get saturated it gets wet to a point and can absorb no more. Can it leach through more and more clay yes I supose little is truely water PROOF but true clay and the correct thickness will hold water quite well.
But the fish will constantly turn up the surface as the top layer is pure mush and the water will always be turkey. Even adding bentonite with makes for a tighter seal will not stop cloudy water.

With 15 feet wide 4 feet deep and you have access around the pond that's high and dry yes a large excavator can reach . Quite likely from one side and a mid size could reach half way from both sides.

If you want to have clear water I would throw I liner is but I would look at hdpe over epdm. Easier to work with is a muddy sediment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Blue gill can not eat mature gold fish but they will keep the gold fish population under control by eating the fry

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not so. The right clay will get saturated it gets wet to a point and can absorb no more. Can it leach through more and more clay yes I supose little is truely water PROOF but true clay and the correct thickness will hold water quite well.
But the fish will constantly turn up the surface as the top layer is pure mush and the water will always be turkey. Even adding bentonite with makes for a tighter seal will not stop cloudy water.

With 15 feet wide 4 feet deep and you have access around the pond that's high and dry yes a large excavator can reach . Quite likely from one side and a mid size could reach half way from both sides.

If you want to have clear water I would throw I liner is but I would look at hdpe over epdm. Easier to work with is a muddy sediment.
I really don’t want this pond to have a liner because of price and because it is a drainage hole first. Currently the pond has remarkably clear water, although it is tannin stained.

What if I put pea gravel on the bottom to separate the fish from where the muck is?

Will the plants actually keep the water clear or will they just remove nutrients?

In how deep of water can cat tails grow?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hello frog44.gif
and welcome @Jmacaddy36

Reaction score
Country
United States

That hasn't been my experience at all. Most ground in the wasatch front is pretty heavy clay soils - we're the bottom of ancient Lake Bonneville and have mostly clay because of it. Water doesn't percolate down through the clay soil like it does with sand or a good loam, but it eventually does perc through. Bentonite is the only clay that I know of that supposedly doesn't do that. All of the clay that I've worked with/around has drained. It does it slowly, but it does drain.

What if I put pea gravel on the bottom to separate the fish from where the muck is?
I thought the bottom of your pond was sandstone? are you worried about the fish poop and plant material turning into muck again? A skimmer should help with leaves and stuff, and the fish poop should break down into nitrates that the plants would use.

Will the plants actually keep the water clear or will they just remove nutrients?
removing nutrients fights the algae and it keeps the water clear that way. Plants on the banks could fight erosion and keep some mud out that way. floating plants might catch leaves rather than letting them sink, but you'd have to clean those up regularly as well.

In how deep of water can cat tails grow?
I dunno.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought the bottom of your pond was sandstone? are you worried about the fish poop and plant material turning into muck again? A skimmer should help with leaves and stuff, and the fish poop should break down into nitrates that the plants would
Why do you think the bottom of my pond is sandstone? Right now its just clay topped with muck. Cant do a skimmer since I don’t have power unfortunately.
removing nutrients fights the algae and it keeps the water clear that way. Plants on the banks could fight erosion and keep some mud out that way. floating plants might catch leaves rather than letting them sink, but you'd have to clean those up regularly as well.

That makes sence.

This pond drains about 2 acres, so it doesn’t need to completely hold water, just hold it well enough so that it doesn’t drain before the rain refills it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pea gravel will sink into the clay , eventually it may stop but that can be a heck of a battle, sand maybe a beter option as by weight it would be comparable and not sink in ass fast.
They pull nutrients out of the water . and if water is forced through their roots it ca work as a filter. aka bogs/ wetland filter
n how deep of water can cat tails grow?
Cat tails in a natural pond is an eventual death sentence for the pond. cat tails can take over a pond 3 feet in depth or less
Bentonite is the only clay that I know of that supposedly doesn't do that. All of the clay that I've worked with/around has drained. It does it slowly, but it does drain.
No their are many types of clay . red, brown, tan white and gray , trust me clay alone can totally water proof a pond without the need for bentonite. . i believe 6 inches of gray clay is all thats needed to do the job. Its very much like modeling clay add water and the outside turns to mush while the center remains dry UNTIL

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pea gravel will sink into the clay , eventually it may stop but that can be a heck of a battle, sand maybe a beter option as by weight it would be comparable and not sink in ass fast.
Ok
They pull nutrients out of the water . and if water is forced through their roots it ca work as a filter. aka bogs/ wetland filter
Ok
Cat tails in a natural pond is an eventual death sentence for the pond. cat tails can take over a pond 3 feet in depth or less
Experiencing that with the old pond now. Cleared a lot last summer but at one point they covered the entirety of the pond.
No their are many types of clay . red, brown, tan white and gray , trust me clay alone can totally water proof a pond without the need for bentonite. . i believe 6 inches of gray clay is all thats needed to do the job. Its very much like modeling clay add water and the outside turns to mush while the center remains dry UNTIL
Cool

Ask a Question