Pond without liner

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking to build a somewhat large pond in my yard. Plastic liner expenses can really add up. The whole project needs to stay around $100. I already have some plastic but it is not made for ponds and is only 10 mil thick. I just set up a tiny test pond to get a little idea about the integrity of this plastic but don't think it's the best option. Is there anything cheap that I can use instead of this plastic? We live in the Sandhills so the soil is a very fine sand. Sometimes below the sand there will be clay but I am not counting on it. What can I add to the sand to slow the drainage of water? I'm fine with adding a little more water weekly if needed but preferably not. It will be heavily planted and eventually have some goldfish.

Thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Gee, that's a tough one, because the best liner would be something like EPDM (a rubber material) -- and most ponders will tell you that your biggest (initial) expense (IOW, not where you want to skimp on cost) is your liner. Plastic of any kind isn't going to last. It won't be thick or strong enough to withstand normal wear & tear, so while it might work for a few months or a year even, you're eventually going to have leaks that will most likely see you re-doing the pond, and maybe even losing fish. And as far as adding something to the soil......I don't know of anything, but that doesn't mean there isn't something. Hopefully you'll get more responses here and someone else can answer that question for you.

BTW, what size pond are you thinking about? Fish, no fish, just plants....?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
sgreeting_welcome_team_100-100.gif

IMO you would be better off saving money to purchase a quality EDPM liner. There is nothing you can add to the sand to slow water drainage and a plastic liner is not the way to go. In either event your pond will be a short lived failure.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
10 mil may get you up to 5 years in some cases but more likely less.Also adding water could be a problem if you have city water ,could get expensive.They do have 20 mil at least that will get you a little more time.I know it even comes in 30 mil .Plants can grow right through 10 mil .I had 10 mil in a wooden barrel in NJ and 3 years and it broke down .

Reaction score
Country
United States
How about sodium bentonite? I have read good things about it. Has anyone tried this?

I'm not exactly sure how big it will be. Whatever the seal/liner is will determine that. It will have some goldfish and lots of plants. Our water is from a well. I love it! Don't have to add chemical treatments ever.

Reaction score
...a somewhat large pond...
Mmmm, so bigger than "kind of big" but smaller than "huge".

Assuming you already checked the price on EPDM, PVC and Poly the next step would be Billboard Tarps, 15 mil is about half the cost of poly. Or actual old billboards and half again so about $0.10/ sq ft. I use them for temp stuff. Last a lot longer if you can completely cover then in soil and not poke a hole in it. Flexibility is reduced over time, but protected by soil will help it not crack if someone steps on it.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Honestly and not to be rude, but I would not even bother with that low budget.
Even if you do find a liner (Doubtful) what about a pump filter or something.

I would advise to put that money away and add to as you can and when you have (Depending on size) say $500.000
Then start to Dig.imho

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
if u use very thin normal plastic if ur lucky without leak it will work but within a year or 2 ... roots will puncture it and in winters and sun it will deteriorate , if it has leak u will b very frustrated after all hardwork u cant do any thing
u can reduce size and thickness of linner , you can buy very thin 20 ml pvc linner it will be cheaper and have small pond like 4x3 1.5 feet deep if u dont have freezing winters and have 2 same gender gold fishes with lots of plants

Last edited:
Reaction score
Roots don't grow thru liner. Liner gets a hole, leaks, roots find the water, grow into the wet soil, follow the moisture right thru the hole and into the pond. The root diameter increases filling the hole. When owner finds the root sticking through the liner they assume the root made the hole.

The tips of roots are extremely soft and delicate.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How about sodium bentonite? I have read good things about it. Has anyone tried this?

I'm not exactly sure how big it will be. Whatever the seal/liner is will determine that. It will have some goldfish and lots of plants. Our water is from a well. I love it! Don't have to add chemical treatments ever.
Be sure to check your water -- not all well water is plug-n-play.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello
Honestly and not to be rude, but I would not even bother with that low budget.
Even if you do find a liner (Doubtful) what about a pump filter or something.

I would advise to put that money away and add to as you can and when you have (Depending on size) say $500.000
Then start to Dig.imho

Ruben
Ditto!

Reaction score
$100 is way fine. Shotcrete Koi pond owners wouldn't bother with a $500 budget. There's always going to be someone looking down their nose at someone. Don't forget, someone is looking down their nose at you too.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
$100 is way fine. Shotcrete Koi pond owners wouldn't bother with a $500 budget. There's always going to be someone looking down their nose at someone. Don't forget, someone is looking down their nose at you too.

@Waterbug
I don't know why you would say that I am not looking down at anyone nor do I think I am better then any one.
Since we don't really know each other I would appreciate you not judge me or,be disrespetful.

Ruben

Ask a Question