Pond won't retain water, seems to be getting deeper over time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if the coral is similar to the picture a skim coat of plaster is where i would lean. excavate out all the soild wash beyond well you'll need to vac out loose material like with a vac truck and skim coat it what a beautiful place

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't really have anyway to measure it.

Well actually you do. You calculate the square inches of your roof and multiply by the inches of rain. Pretty simple equation actually. An inch of rain on a standard size roof it probably five or six hundred gallons - but that's assuming all the rain runs off in one spot, which would be rare. Most roofs run off rain in at least four places, if not more.

Anyway - it's definitely NOT thousands.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Seems @miogpsrocks is in the tropics and probably get lots of down pours and few light rains. They may get alot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well actually you do. You calculate the square inches of your roof and multiply by the inches of rain. Pretty simple equation actually. An inch of rain on a standard size roof it probably five or six hundred gallons - but that's assuming all the rain runs off in one spot, which would be rare. Most roofs run off rain in at least four places, if not more.

Well, from the calculators say thousands might be possible.

My house is about 10,000 square feet. My area of Miami is said to have over 67 inches a rain in a year. Most of that is in the summer season which is like now. While not 100% of my roof goes into a gutter, the area that does consolidates into a single large pipe spout.

Over the months of rainy season, it could be in the thousands of gallons that have run into the pond over that amount of time even by conservative estimates.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Well, from the calculators say thousands might be possible.

My house is about 10,000 square feet. My area of Miami is said to have over 67 inches a rain in a year. Most of that is in the summer season which is like now. While not 100% of my roof goes into a gutter, the area that does consolidates into a single large pipe spout.

Over the months of rainy season, it could be in the thousands of gallons that have run into the pond over that amount of time even by conservative estimates.

Oh, guess I missed that part of the message. No liner….and pond won’t hold water….

@miogpsrocks I think you’re pulling our legs, right? (y) I went back and read your other 2 posts…..and I get the feeling that, this isn’t a serious question.

Look at these guys "pulling your leg" by building a "centipede and snorkel" filtration system which I was asking about.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I am seeing a lot of issues in this site in that past few days. Double posts, vids not loading, clicking on likes not working right. I always have to refresh the page to see if the posts, likes, etc. took hold.Where is @Ian Hope he is ok.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@miogpsrocks On your first-ever post, where you asked about “how” and “what,” your question was very general (which means vague). Then there were 3 entire pages of members giving you advice, asking more questions, etc……and you never responded….to anyone’s comments…..not once.

When we write replies, offer suggestions, and ask questions we are trying to help the poster. We sort of expect some back and forth discussion, questions answered, etc., feedback and further information on the part of the poster.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@miogpsrocks On your first-ever post, where you asked about “how” and “what,” your question was very general (which means vague). Then there were 3 entire pages of members giving you advice, asking more questions, etc……and you never responded….to anyone’s comments…..not once.

When we write replies, offer suggestions, and ask questions we are trying to help the poster. We sort of expect some back and forth discussion, questions answered, etc., feedback and further information on the part of the poster.
Hmmmmmmmm, wonder if they are getting the annoying oops messages that something is wrong?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK - thousands of gallons of water over a YEAR is different than your initial comment that you get thousands of gallons every time it RAINS.

How many sq ft your home is has no bearing on much surface area you have on your roof, unless your house is 10,000 sq ft on one level and your roof is essentially flat. For an easy example if my 2 story house is 3000 sq ft total, I only have 1500 sq ft on one level so my roof surface isn't 3000 sq ft. Then there are things like pitch and eaves and what not.

In any case, getting even MOST of that water to flow into a single direction off a roof would be quite the feat. Even with oversized gutters, in a hard rain we still lose a lot of rain over the edge of the gutters.

Anyway... I know this wasn't the point of your post. Just an interesting topic for me - I've calculated how much rain my pond can capture in a heavy rain a number of times. Free water is always a treat!

Reaction score
Country
United States
if the coral is similar to the picture a skim coat of plaster is where i would lean. excavate out all the soild wash beyond well you'll need to vac out loose material like with a vac truck and skim coat it what a beautiful place

The location in the picture is called schnebly winery, its in the redlands/homestead south Florida. This is sort of a more rural area with a lot of farms and things you don't normally see in the South Florida area. It's sort of a place where they have events such as corporate party, weddings, etc.. We use to do these car race/scavenger hunt and it ended at this place where they announced the winner and they had like a party there . This is a very pretty place if you ever happen to be in the area

I also live in South Florida but in an area known as " Coral Gables/South Miami area" which is north of this area but still has coral rock when you dig in the ground.

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK - thousands of gallons of water over a YEAR is different than your initial comment that you get thousands of gallons every time it RAINS.

How many sq ft your home is has no bearing on much surface area you have on your roof, unless your house is 10,000 sq ft on one level and your roof is essentially flat. For an easy example if my 2 story house is 3000 sq ft total, I only have 1500 sq ft on one level so my roof surface isn't 3000 sq ft. Then there are things like pitch and eaves and what not.

In any case, getting even MOST of that water to flow into a single direction off a roof would be quite the feat. Even with oversized gutters, in a hard rain we still lose a lot of rain over the edge of the gutters.

Anyway... I know this wasn't the point of your post. Just an interesting topic for me - I've calculated how much rain my pond can capture in a heavy rain a number of times. Free water is always a treat!
In some states, collecting rain water is illegal. So the government could sent a swat team in the middle of the night and kill you for it or send you to prison. Who knew how right that 1984 book would be. That is messed up right?

Ask a Question