Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1710504594805.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dont spend a lot on vinca, it is everywhere. A neighbor probably could give you some. I had a neighbor take some from my yard to cover a hill after they put in a pool. It transplants very easily. If you want to get it from a nursery, Bluestone Perrenials has 50% off Fridays for certain plants, they carry the variety you are looking for.
I did speak with Bluestone, however, there price, even at 50% off was still more than McKay Nursery... as the plants were larger. And honestly, the main reason I'm purchasing a lot of it, is because I'm almost 65, and don't wanna wait multiple seasons for the ground to be covered, i.e., less maintenance! 😆

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you sure you're thinking of vinca? Vinca would be more spiller than thriller if it were used in a planter. which honestly I've never seen, but I suppose anything is possible.

@msr0459 - why the choice of that particular vinca? And why Wisconsin? I've literally never been to a nursery here that doesn't sell vinca. Is it not hardy in your zone?
The vinca "Bowles" variety is allegedly an improved vinca...larger leaves and flowers, etc. And no, not readily available here. I had one nursery that is expecting some to arrive, but not a lot, and I'm not waiting, it's planting time here is SC! Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did speak with Bluestone, however, there price, even at 50% off was still more than McKay Nursery... as the plants were larger. And honestly, the main reason I'm purchasing a lot of it, is because I'm almost 65, and don't wanna wait multiple seasons for the ground to be covered, i.e., less maintenance! 😆
Totally understand, makes sense. Too bad you cannot drive to MA to get my vinca, fully grown and ready to spread. Although the deer might put up a fight, lol.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honeslty I've had to replant vinca three times around the one edge of the pond. It's not crazy about getting walked on and it succumbs easily to anything else that wants to take over... like the dang forget-me-nots that rule the backyard!
Hmm, I've read that vinca (periwinkle) is pretty robust, and can be walked on. I hope so, because I'm sure I'll still need to traverse the hillside for various tasks, i.e., leaf removal, etc. Also, since I plan on using creeping jenny to cascade over and down the higher sides of stream(s), do you think the vinca will take over the jenny? I was not looking forward to having to place more rock between the vinca and the creeping jenny to try and prevent that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you sure you're thinking of vinca? Vinca would be more spiller than thriller if it were used in a planter. which honestly I've never seen, but I suppose anything is possible.

@msr0459 - why the choice of that particular vinca? And why Wisconsin? I've literally never been to a nursery here that doesn't sell vinca. Is it not hardy in your zone?
Apparently i have my fauna mixed up. Even the blood sucking lawyer is coming for blood now? LOL oh the horror ...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hmm, I've read that vinca (periwinkle) is pretty robust, and can be walked on. I hope so, because I'm sure I'll still need to traverse the hillside for various tasks, i.e., leaf removal, etc. Also, since I plan on using creeping jenny to cascade over and down the higher sides of stream(s), do you think the vinca will take over the jenny? I was not looking forward to having to place more rock between the vinca and the creeping jenny to try and prevent that.
Jenny is pretty tough on it's own and regrows quickly.

Ask a Question