Pondmaster magnetic drive utility pump 80gph not vibrating

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello. So I bought this product 2 days ago and first used it today. My pond is 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep. Not even 2 minutes after plugging in the cord and putting the pump in the pond, it stopped vibrating. It said it was submersible and can go in water max 4 feet with 80gph. Anyone know whats going on? If anyone has a pondmaster magnetic drive utility, can you tell me whether if I was doing something wrong? Was 2 feet too deep for this pump? Please help

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You have a Model 1 Item 2520 Fountain/statuary pump.
This is not a pond pump. I do not know where you read the 4 foot depth information but this is quoted directly from this pump's installation/operation instructions--

"INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Pump must be used submersed, down to a maximum depth of 24”. When water depth is low, always place the screen side down. The pump is intended to pump water only. It cannot be used to pump oil, solvents, or gasoline. DO NOT RUN PUMP DRY."

It has a shut-off head of 2'6". Pump is obviously wrong for your application.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You have a Model 1 Item 2520 Fountain/statuary pump.
This is not a pond pump. I do not know where you read the 4 foot depth information but this is quoted directly from this pump's installation/operation instructions--

"INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Pump must be used submersed, down to a maximum depth of 24”. When water depth is low, always place the screen side down. The pump is intended to pump water only. It cannot be used to pump oil, solvents, or gasoline. DO NOT RUN PUMP DRY."

It has a shut-off head of 2'6". Pump is obviously wrong for your application.
But the box says use for pond as well. It does say fountains and statuaries but it also says pond use too.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It could be used in a shallow section of a pond for a small fountain or spitter. It is not really designed for anything else. 80 gph is a very low flow rate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It could be used in a shallow section of a pond for a small fountain or spitter. It is not really designed for anything else. 80 gph is a very low flow rate.
So basically, it broke because I put it in too deep?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Kenichi Matsumoto I have had a pondmaster magnetic drive 2400 pump and it's been going strong for 14yrs w/o a glitch. Let the manufacturer know and I'm sure they will make good on it. Use the one you get for a fountain in a shallow area or set it up high on something in the pond and get another one made for deep ponds w/a higher gph. Mine is 2400gph for my appx 2400gal pond.
Have another nice newer Laguna pump that is more power efficient and using it for my waterfall.

http://www.dannermfg.com/Store/Products/Danner/PID-02740.aspx

This is the larger 4280gph one I bought so my falls would run harder. They have many other small ones for less money. It works great!
http://www.webbsonline.com/Item/28256
Waterfall.jpg

IMG_7422.JPG

Ask a Question