Ponds n guests

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't think a pond is any different than the rest of your house - any time we were guests when our kids were young we made sure to ask about house rules and make sure our kids followed them as well as just general common sense about respecting what's important to others. And toddlers can definitely learn! My grandson is 18 months old and already knows he needs a grown up with him if he's going to feed the fish and that we don't throw things at the fish or in the water. His older sister knows why we don't overfeed the fish and how important it is to move slowly around the fish so you don't startle them. She is very cautious around the pond and knows which rock is the "stand on rock".

As we did with our own kids, we always focus on telling the little ones what we CAN do rather than what we CAN'T. They respond so much better to the positive approach than constantly hearing "No".

Unfortunately many parents today seem to raise their children as if it's a committee decision in which the little people have an equal voice. If I hear one more parent give their child an instruction and follow it up with "ok?" I may lose my cool. "Darling, we aren't going to pull the doggie's tail, oooooookay?" And little darling thinks "hmmm... no I think it's NOT ok. I'd really rather continue!" Don't ask your kids if they agree with you when you are giving them directions that are important to follow. You instruct - they comply. Everyone is happy. Including your child. The most miserable kids I know are the ones who can't figure out who is in charge and they fear it just might be them - parents need to demonstrate calm, consistent leadership. Not friendship.

OK - rant over!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One of my sisters kids, kid was never told no, do not touch, etc. They said it was bad for him to hear the word no. The kid was a terror

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I've found toddlers are little learners too... I just teach them different things via gestures and modelling behaviour and less on words and intellect.
Of course they are great learners, that's the age of discovery. Perhaps I should say 'this toddler' wanted to learn what happens when you throw a welcome mat into the pond:LOL: And discover the boundaries of discipline:finger:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
My 2-year-old nephew loves our pond and loves feeding the koi when he visits.
Rule #1--"You hold my hand when we are by the pond."
Rule #2--repeat Rule #1 as needed.
Usually he'll watch the koi eat for a few minutes, then moves on to grabbing the garden hose to water all the plants in the garden. The last time he was over, he spent 30 minutes watering everything around the pond, the container veggie garden, and the big planters I have by the door. He has loved the outdoors since he was an infant. Any time he got fussy as a baby, I would bring him outside--even if we just walked up and down the driveway a few times--and he loved looking at the sky or listening to birds or watching trees blow in the wind. Calmed him down instantly. Kids need to be around nature a lot more than they currently are--they wouldn't be so tightly-wound if they spent more time around trees and dirt. :)

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Bonus! Just found this on the leather chair. Not blaming the parents, I feel for them, they have two wonderful other children and REALLY tried with the little one but other than holding him the entire time there was no stopping him.
003.JPG

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 209

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
good grief, those mr clean eraser things clean leather well, just a bit of water and rub rub rub

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I second the suggestion about the Mr Clean Eraser. Those generally get crayon off most surfaces (if that's indeed crayon).
Not sure what it was but it wiped off easily. Not like the last time the same chair was assaulted by a toddler with a bic pen.
I do love the magic eraser's though, truly a magic product.

Ask a Question