Ponds n guests

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
We had some friends over yesterday, one family has two young children and a 18 month old. That boy was drawn to the pond like a magnet!! I tried to stay calm as he picked up various items and threatened to throw them in the water. His mother did an excellent job of stopping him right at the last moment. Good job mom! The older ones 7-9 looked, but no touch, again good job mom! It's been different with other mothers......

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
children and ponds can be a hard to control situation especially if they are not your children how do you not offend there parents when trying to stop them from doing something that could harm your fish or pond .Great momma if she caught it and teaching them right and wrong .I guess you were cringing .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Our grandchildren love our pond, and enjoy feeding the fish. A neighbor's little boy, came to look and he threw a rock in :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
when we had a birthday party just a few weeks after i put the pond in, the children (more than 10 of them) ran up and down the stream (30 feet long), throwing rocks in the pond. I let them run up and down the stream (as my son was the one who started it) but i draw a limit to throwing rocks - sighting that it could puncher the liner. The pond was cloudy then, but the little feet running up and down the stream caused the water to be way more cloudy (got all the gravel silt in the water).. I let them have fun (but i was swallowing my tears).

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I assume parents (especially if they are friends I would have over) would appreciate anyone teaching their children (in this case about proper pond care and behaviour) and that I'm doing it in a constructive and positive manner.

So if they are offended by this, then it's really a sad situation for the child to be sheltered from learning. But if I'm screaming and yelling at the kid, then the parents do have a right to be offended and annoyed at the behaviour I'm modelling.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Ugh, Honestly children make me nervous (is that a bad thing to admit?) and they make me even more nervous when they are near the pond.
:), I started my pond during the week my daughter was born. I remember coming home from the hospital, sat by the pond and pondered:ROFLMAO: what steps I need to take to keep my child safe. I put up a short rabbit wire fence around it till I felt the water was no longer a danger to her. She turned 20 this May, that's an easy way to remember the age of the pond.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I assume parents (especially if they are friends I would have over) would appreciate anyone teaching their children (in this case about proper pond care and behaviour) and that I'm doing it in a constructive and positive manner.

So if they are offended by this, then it's really a sad situation for the child to be sheltered from learning. But if I'm screaming and yelling at the kid, then the parents do have a right to be offended and annoyed at the behaviour I'm modelling.
It would certainly depend on the age of the child, toddlers have no interest in learning, only destroying! I like to establish how important the pond is to me and that it's not for children to play in. I know running water is an attractant to all but sorry, this little bit is mine. Once I came home and my nephew is sitting on my big rock dangling his feet in the water, sounds cute but I blew up at my wife for allowing this to happen. There's a lot of things in my pond water that I wouldn't want on him, and vice versa.

Reaction score
Country
United States
:), I started my pond during the week my daughter was born. I remember coming home from the hospital, sat by the pond and pondered:ROFLMAO: what steps I need to take to keep my child safe. I put up a short rabbit wire fence around it till I felt the water was no longer a danger to her. She turned 20 this May, that's an easy way to remember the age of the pond.

Wow, You have been at this a long time then :)

Reaction score
Both my boys just seem to have gotten used to my pond. Neither have given me any issues. When their friends come over someone always steps on rocks they shouldn't (my fault for not securing them). But for the most part they know its just to look at and feed the fish. No rocking throwing.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Both my boys just seem to have gotten used to my pond. Neither have given me any issues. When their friends come over someone always steps on rocks they shouldn't (my fault for not securing them). But for the most part they know its just to look at and feed the fish. No rocking throwing.
For mine the pond has always been a part of her life, she's never done anything detrimental to it. She respects the fact that it's my hobby, not just some water in the backyard.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Wow, You have been at this a long time then :)
Well.... My first pond.... I dug a hole in my front yard flower bed about 18"x12" and about 10 inches deep, threw some thick plastic down and filled it with water. That very same evening neighbor kids went splashing through it and destroyed the whole thing.:(.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well.... My first pond.... I dug a hole in my front yard flower bed about 18"x12" and about 10 inches deep, threw some thick plastic down and filled it with water. That very same evening neighbor kids went splashing through it and destroyed the whole thing.:(.

Well that's a bummer about it being destroyed. At least you kept your interest in it though.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
It would certainly depend on the age of the child, toddlers have no interest in learning, only destroying! I like to establish how important the pond is to me and that it's not for children to play in. I know running water is an attractant to all but sorry, this little bit is mine. Once I came home and my nephew is sitting on my big rock dangling his feet in the water, sounds cute but I blew up at my wife for allowing this to happen. There's a lot of things in my pond water that I wouldn't want on him, and vice versa.

I've found toddlers are little learners too... I just teach them different things via gestures and modelling behaviour and less on words and intellect.

Ask a Question