Poor fish

Reaction score
Well I've had some crazy weather this year. Pond finally went up to 15*c about a month ago, put the fishes in. Then that weekend it rained 75mm or more and drop the temps down to the 7*ish range and stayed that way for a week. Then we got some stupit hot weather and pond went back up to 15* for about a week. Then over the last two days we've got some wicked thunder storms with crazy hail that only decided to hit my side of the city and lots of rain. Also the power was out for over 8 hours, good thing i got a generator to power the whole pond, fridges, lights and computer and internet. And today was stupit windy gusting up to 90km/h and half my tree was in the pond when i got back from work, should of took a pic. To top it all off my fish have been flashing aswell dont know if because my ph and kh have been all over the board and my temps too. But i salted the pond to be on the safe side of things, I'm gonna try to catch one this weekend and take a better look at them but they are so skittish right now with all that has been going on. I do have a microscope to check the slim coat just never had to play doctor with a fish the good way. Then a friend of mine calls me and says that somebody he knows is getting out of the pond business and has a couple of 18 inch kois for me great. Almost forgot my pond temp is bake down to 7*c

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Are you pretty far north? Almost seems you should build a greenhouse over your pond!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thor,
My pond bounced all over at the beginning of this year. The fish did fine, we went from water temps of 40's to almost 80 then slammed back down, but no koi, just goldfish.

Reaction score
Yes i salted for 1100 gallons last week. But i can still see a spot or 2 on my little fish and nothing on my bigger fish and they are the ones flashing and are all impossible to catch to take a closer look and dont want to stress them out trying to either so just hope for the best. Is there medication that can be added with the salt to make sure i get it all or is salt and time the only cure for in hte pond? And thanks for all the replys

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
let nature takes its course, I don't try to save any. Whatever makes it makes it.

---------------------------------------------------------
Lunettes De Soleil
Very poor advice! Hopefully you don't get sick and let nature take it's course. If your going to keep a pet be a responsible Pet owner and try and find out what is going on and fix the issue. Can I ask, when your oil light comes on in your car and you have a flat tire, Do you just keep driving and let nature take it's course?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thor, how deep is your pond? Sounds like your getting some extreme Temp and water fluctuations for that size pond. A cover may actually be of great benefit as it could help stabalize the water. limit the amount of unwanted additives ( rain water, leaves, dust and trash) and help stabalize the temps some. Adding salt up to 3% won't hurt your fish at all and could possibly slow down the parasitic attacks. But to me it sounds more like stress and it could be from fluctuations in water quality. Your KH and GH need to be determined and balanced. this will help stop PH swings, Tempature fluctuations are harder to stabalize but they do need to be more stable than your posting. I would think you would need a pond of at least 4' deep for your zone to help in this. Much less and as cool of temps as your reading may not be deep enough to hold good stability when those weather patterns are like they have been lately.
On a side note, My koi wanted me to ask you if you would send some of that cool water down this way! LOL

Reaction score
No my pond is not very deep over 1/2 of pond is 26 inches deep and the rest is 18 or so deep. would of liked to gone deeper but gas line is right through the middle of it so was only limited to go a foot down and the rest is up. My no2 and no3 is 0 my kh is avg 80 gh is 120 avg and my ph has staying in the 7.5 range and ammonia is at .25

Reaction score
Well i got smart today and tarped the pond before i went to work cause the good old weather guys where calling for thundershowers and good thing i did cause we go over 3 inches of rain today. the pond didnt even drop a degree and the fish seemed really happy this evening accept for the ich, is it possible to over salt a pond? cause i have no salt meter and i got one on order but not for another 2 weeks until it gets here. I bought one of htose salt water meters and it says i have about 3ppm salt in water but the thing is pretty cheap and the lowest it goes is 2 so it just moves up just a little. I know i havent oversalted i just want to get rid of the ich before my 4 year old daughter asks why is the fish not swimming anymore. Thanks

Ask a Question