JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A European Goldfinch was at the feeder today. Haven't seen them since last summer.

IMG_4752 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Forgot to share, the European Goldfinches came back again earlier this week. There was a group of four of them. Two flew off before I got the photo, but I'm glad I got these two with the American Goldfinch.

IMG_4806 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Are they escapees that have naturalized?

Believed to have either escaped or were intentionally released from a breeder in the Chicago area. Population is expanding in this area. There are also known pockets of them in other parts of the U.S.

I'm nervous about the issues they may cause when competing with native birds for the same resources, but I do love seeing them around. One of the most stunning birds I see at the feeders!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Believed to have either escaped or were intentionally released from a breeder in the Chicago area. Population is expanding in this area. There are also known pockets of them in other parts of the U.S.

I'm nervous about the issues they may cause when competing with native birds for the same resources, but I do love seeing them around. One of the most stunning birds I see at the feeders!
To my limited knowledge and experience I don't think they're a particularly boisterous or aggressive species and their natural food would be quite abundant so I would assume they would slot in pretty well. We have a similar issue here with the ring knecked parakeet that has started to establish itself in parts of the country originally after escaping from private collections.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A pair of ducks showed up yesterday and came back today. Managed a few shots today, always a treat when they show up.

Bath Time by A & R Photography, on Flickr

I heard one outside my window the other morning before I got up. Guessing it was in my pond. Waiting to see if it comes back.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have one of our red shoulder hawks hanging out constantly in the back yard. They love all the water and the critters that show up.
Not the best a catching birds.

IMG_3259.jpg
hawk.JPG
IMG_3608.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm frantically keeping the ducks OFF my pond. We suspect that our fish die-off issue last year was a parasite problem and worry that it may have come from the visiting ducks. So last year I was all "awwwww ducks! Let me get a picture!" and this year I'm "DUCKS! LET THE DOGS OUT!" haha!

@JBtheExplorer we're seeing a lot of European goldfinches as well on our feeder. I think it was maybe two years ago I was stunned when I saw one - now we see a half dozen or more at a time every day.

Ask a Question