Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great Spangled Fritillary
IMG_9834 copy.jpg

A clearwing moth specie I have never seen before.
IMG_9772 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm witnessing the best firefly show I've ever seen! I don't know what's causing them to have such a good year, but it's incredible. Photo does zero justice. Blinking lights all around me.
IMG_9904 copy.jpg

B

Burd

This guy was yelling in my yard, I heard him inside my house, I looked all afternoon, no parents. I brought him in, he was full of little bugs, a quick dip, and a rinse, and he was hungry Too, I keep baby bird food on hand, fed him well. After a nap, out to the rehabber. I looked one more time, no robins near.
97E2E9FA-D8F2-41F3-8002-56E8EA29BFB2.jpeg
CB24BC19-1E02-4B69-9112-D801DF528731.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
B

Burd

Yes it’s a tough call when to step in, yesterday he was under the feeder for a long time, I’m suprised the grackles didn’t go after him, usually the parents are not far away. Their was no one.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I waited two years for this one.

Last year, I started growing dill in hopes of attracting Black Swallowtail butterflies, because it's a host plant. I didn't have any luck last year, but I was just in the garden, turned around, and watched a female lay this egg!
IMG_0573 copy.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I waited two years for this one.

Last year, I started growing dill in hopes of attracting Black Swallowtail butterflies, because it's a host plant. I didn't have any luck last year, but I was just in the garden, turned around, and watched a female lay this egg!
View attachment 131294
We had eggs on our dill and parsley and were able to raise cats and set them free when they hatched. Seems like most lay eggs late summer and don't hatch till spring.

Ask a Question