Post your yard and pond visitors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I thought possum at first. But we have 3 other videos which clearly show raccoons. They almost looked like different sizes. I am wondering if it was a family.
We have the same feeder in the back, not on camera, and one of the feeders was on the ground. I am guessing raccoons.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol so my first tired guess was right! We have them here also, raiding my feeders.

B

Burd

I have a friendly Fox squirrel that had a tick on the end of his nose. I keep ivermectin on hand for mange, I gave him one treatment, and the tick is gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Our porch-nesting Phoebes are working on their second batch of babies.
phoebes round two 01.jpg
phoebes round two 02.jpg

But this evening we saw not one, but two Wallys hanging around, trying to figure out how to circumnavigate the 'snow saucer baffle system' that we installed on the porch posts earlier this Spring. I picked them both up & moved them outside our gate, but within minutes they had both returned. (Determined snakes knowing an easy meal is *right there*) Fingers crossed our deflection devices continue to hold them at bay!
nest drama 01.jpg
nest drama 02.jpg
nest drama 04.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Our porch-nesting Phoebes are working on their second batch of babies.
View attachment 130613View attachment 130614

But this evening we saw not one, but two Wallys hanging around, trying to figure out how to circumnavigate the 'snow saucer baffle system' that we installed on the porch posts earlier this Spring. I picked them both up & moved them outside our gate, but within minutes they had both returned. (Determined snakes knowing an easy meal is *right there*) Fingers crossed our deflection devices continue to hold them at bay!
View attachment 130615View attachment 130616View attachment 130617
Any chance on seeing the snow saucer baffles?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Any chance on seeing the snow saucer baffles?
Sure! We cut the plastic snow saucers to fit around the 4 X 4 post, duct taped them back together & then put in a couple screws to hold them up. So far, so good - the babies are still there this morning!!!
nest drama more 02.jpg

We installed one on the posts on each side of the nest (which you can just see in the upper right hand corner of this picture) Here's the determined couple trying to figure out how to foil our plan!
nest drama more 01.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
There is no way I'd intentionally kill one of the snakes. They're just doing what they do. Relocating them is pointless - we have SO many snakes around here if I remove one, another just moves on in. We have a 4' high, 60+' long natural stacked stone wall out in front of the house - we constructed essentially what is a luxury condo for snakes. Can't be too surprised when they decide to move in!
And, as sad as it would be to lose the Phoebe babies, it's not exactly like they're an endangered species. Honestly we probably have more than we should in the area because of us going to great lengths to protect their nests from natural predators. I'm just hoping that after last night's serious attempt not paying off, they'll move on to easier hunting grounds & prey. Four hours of repeatedly going out to pick up snakes & move them off the porch is enough for me, thank you! LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have heard that moving snakes into unfamiliar territory may compromise their chances to survive.

B

Burd

Snakes would be gone. No time for them eating baby birds. Ain’t no body got time for that. I’d go Sam on them messing with my birds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have heard that moving snakes into unfamiliar territory may compromise their chances to survive.
This is true of many reptiles. They tend to have a limited 'home range' and taking them to a totally unfamiliar environment will stress them out to the point of dying, just trying to get back 'home' again. The only snakes I 'relocate' off my property are Copperheads (we actually just picked one up & took her for a ride this afternoon!) The release point we choose is about 1 mile (via road) from our doorstep & VERY similar in habitat, other than the fact that there are no houses down the road where we dropped her. Non venomous snakes won't be moved (other than off the porch & outside the gate, about 15' away) but I can't risk my dogs being bitten for sticking their nosy noses into a Copperhead's sunning spot on the wall (if I can safely catch & move it)

Ask a Question