Potassium permanganate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question from a relative newbie (uk).
Is it possible to treat a lightly planted garden pond with pp?
I have goldfish and koi. My local koi dealer told me just to get as much debris and plants out as possible and it should be OK.. scared to use it after reading about it

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to answer a question with a question but what is your pond's condition that makes the dealer think you need pp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I struggled all last year with body flukes and chinodenella, thought I had cured it but come Dec fish were flashing again.
Water is good, can't see anything on scrapes so consulted local dealer who advised pp followed by fluke regime
Not sure if koi dealers here use it regularly to maintain their tanks
Many thanks for response

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used it with no harm to the fish. But you do have to be careful with it and weigh it exactly. So it's very important to know the correct volume of water in your pond.

Also it is best to wear latex gloves and safety glasses. It also stains everything it comes in contact with.

If you are not finding flukes on a scrape and scope, I question if that is actually the cause of the flashing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Question from a relative newbie (uk).
Is it possible to treat a lightly planted garden pond with pp?
I have goldfish and koi. My local koi dealer told me just to get as much debris and plants out as possible and it should be OK.. scared to use it after reading about it
Why are they recommending potassium ?

I killed a couple fish i loved using potassium

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, it can be used with plants in the pond. The plants will just use it up more quickly than it would without plants. That could reduce the effectiveness if it doesn't have sufficient time to work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What treatment did you use before?

Flashing can have many causes, even cold water.
I previously used chloramine t followed by lernex x2 doses. The flashing stopped for a while. Definitely had flukes and chinodenella under microscope. Recently started flashing again, scraped, nothing. Too cold atm and don't want to disturb them but as soon as they are fully active will be scraping again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why are they recommending potassium ?

I killed a couple fish i loved using potassium
Think it was recommended as a general disinfection for any other lurking parasites. To be followed by fluke treatment as I seem to be plagued by them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All too often poor water quality is mistaken as parasites. Fluke are generally very easy to discover. The use of a microscope and a quick scrape of the fishes gill. or even just some of the slime on the fish around the gills can be enough to show if you have flukes or not.'

The problem is flashing is right away misinterpreted as always being parasites. Fish have no arms, they can only rub against items when something bothers them, and if your water parameters are less than optimal they try to rub off whats bothering them or jump out of the water .

I am a firm believer in over filtration , I honestly believe as hobbyist we an not over filter. The less organics, plant and or fish waste there is in the water the more bacteria can concentrate on on keeping a healthy environment.

One thing few people understand is the slime on a fish when you pick it up to take out the hook. That slime is a fishes first line of defense against parasites and infections. Whats more is parasites are every where. The only time they get the upper hand is when there is an imbalance in the water quality.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All too often poor water quality is mistaken as parasites. Fluke are generally very easy to discover. The use of a microscope and a quick scrape of the fishes gill. or even just some of the slime on the fish around the gills can be enough to show if you have flukes or not.'

The problem is flashing is right away misinterpreted as always being parasites. Fish have no arms, they can only rub against items when something bothers them, and if your water parameters are less than optimal they try to rub off whats bothering them or jump out of the water .

I am a firm believer in over filtration , I honestly believe as hobbyist we an not over filter. The less organics, plant and or fish waste there is in the water the more bacteria can concentrate on on keeping a healthy environment.

One thing few people understand is the slime on a fish when you pick it up to take out the hook. That slime is a fishes first line of defense against parasites and infections. Whats more is parasites are every where. The only time they get the upper hand is when there is an imbalance in the water quality.
Many thanks for your reply. I definitely had flukes in summer and saw them easily. Can't see any now.
I test water weekly using a liquid Api test kit and all is good. Currently upgrading my filtration to a nexus 320 and have built 2 decent size bog filters. Do you think rather than adding chemicals, I might be better waiting to see if extra filtration helps?
Currently running a 30000 pressure filter and small bog in 7000ltrs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IF YOUR HAVING ISSUE WITH A BEAD FILTER FOR 30,000 and two bog filters " though i don't know the size. If your still having issues , somethings not adding up.
how many gallons
how many fish
think you over feed
do you test for kh
any chance run off is getting in your pond.
koi or gold fish
where are you
not a fan of chemicals what are you adding?
I have used it with no harm to the fish. But you do have to be careful with it and weigh it exactly. So it's very important to know the correct volume of water in your pond.

Also it is best to wear latex gloves and safety glasses. It also stains everything it comes in contact with.

If you are not finding flukes on a scrape and scope, I question if that is actually the cause of the flashing.
SCALED FISH can withstand a longer dip than can doits fish ask me how i know

Ask a Question