Potted and bogged

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
... aid of very useful bacteria (which live in my - GASP - gravel bottom!). The bog handles the by-product of that breakdown. So the idea of our bog filling up like a dirty diaper is impossible...

GASP! Gravel bottom!? Eeeeek! Wait, I have one of those too! It's a very shallow layer of river rock, and works well for me.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can we still be friends Lisak1 and timvz? I mean I don't have a rock bottom. Lol
Ok so I got all the ingredients for my lily. Can I replant it this weekend or should I leave it alone and wait until spring?
Also for planting my rush and other plants, how deep do I do those? I'm assuming I want the pot right below the surface.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lisak1, I meant to ask you, you said some plants root deep in your bog, like Iris, how deep is deep? I am hoping to end up at 12 inches total from bottom of bog to lip so I might not be able to plant things that root too deeply as I assume they can mess up the water lines.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most of the bog plants roots stay shallow, my iris are maybe down 3 inches, maybe, I would have to go out and look to see how deep they are currently.
The only deep rooted plants is the rush.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good to know. I am probably only going to have 8-10 inches of pea gravel. Working on getting it higher but I'm not sure if it's going to happen so I might have to stay away from deep rooters. I can plant the rush in pots in the pond.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Another question. The bog is fully planted and I am looking at making some of sissy's socks to line a few edges of my pond. I would like to put plants that are pretty voracious feeders and I have been led to believe that rush and most grasses are a good fit. Am I correct or are there others I should look at? I'm looking for something that will stand up since it will be hanging against the side of the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That obedience plant I sent you will grow upright, massive roots, pretty blooms. It might do a sock well. I have a bunch, self planted, growing along the edge and into the pond. Massive roots the fish love to spawn in. (fine root fibers, nothing that will grow into the liner)

Creeping primrose has a good nutrient sucking root system, upright with nice yellow flowers. Sent you some of it.

Iris, day lilies, you are south enough look for white star grass. I could have sent you some, but this last winter wiped mine out, rated down to zone 7, we hit zone 5 temps. Real pretty grass with white star flowers on it. Cheap to buy, get a small bundle, it spreads. Also called white topped sedge.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1261/
not my pic
Dichromena-latifolia-3.i-4757.jpg

Reaction score
Lisak1, I meant to ask you, you said some plants root deep in your bog, like Iris, how deep is deep? I am hoping to end up at 12 inches total from bottom of bog to lip so I might not be able to plant things that root too deeply as I assume they can mess up the water lines.
I know in the dirt Iris prefer to have their rhizome very close to the surface and the roots grown down deeper. They spread like wildfire and are laboris to dig up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):

I thought I answered this one, but maybe not! I've pulled irises out of the bog that had roots 18" long. But I would imagine if they can only go 12" they will only go that deep and then start to spread wider. I'm going after a large clump this weekend - if I survive, I'll report back!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think those 2 plants were the mass of roots that I sent you pictures of and they did not survive. I will look for that sedge, it's pretty.
That obedience plant I sent you will grow upright, massive roots, pretty blooms. It might do a sock well. I have a bunch, self planted, growing along the edge and into the pond. Massive roots the fish love to spawn in. (fine root fibers, nothing that will grow into the liner)

Creeping primrose has a good nutrient sucking root system, upright with nice yellow flowers. Sent you some of it.

Reaction score
There's a thousand reasons why each person's pond works for them and each one can be unique. That is exactly why you shouldn't say that this works for you and it will work for someone else too. Do you understand what I'm saying?

I.e. If someone is trying to explain the fundamentals of why something works, don't give your example and imply that if it works for you, it will work for someone, because that's not necessarily true. You just said it.

I'm also saying that your pond might work for one of a thousand reasons but a bog is still designed as a waste trap.

Also: "So for me it is doing a great job, no dirty diaper here."
The fact that your bog is clean means that it isn't doing its job. Your fish might be happy but the bog isn't the reason.

I'm also trying to belabor the point here because I don't want you to spread misinformation.
You chose a child's diaper for your analogy. Hahahahaha. Makes no sense, but I am laughing so hard I may need a bog....... I mean diaper.

Ask a Question