Potted Lotus in Central Pa

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I am determined to grow a Lotus with a bloom! Several folks on here gave me some great advice. I stored the Lotus in the pot in my garage and had it covered. When is the best time bring it out. I live in Central PA. Any advice would be appreciated!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It's warm enough now. Make sure it's in full sun and don't fertilize till you get at least 3 leaves above the water level.
I leave mine out all winter and even the ones in small tubs that freeze solid have come back.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It's warm enough now. Make sure it's in full sun and don't fertilize till you get at least 3 leaves above the water level.
I leave mine out all winter and even the ones in small tubs that freeze solid have come back.
Thank you! I will give it a shot!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I brought my Lotus out of the garage late May. I am getting a ton of leaves, but still no blooms. The Lotus is getting plenty of sun. Am I being too impatient? This is year 2 or 3 that I have had it. Also, what should I be looking for to see if I have blooms?
IMG_9692.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You should get a couple of blooms this year. I use Pondtabb fertilizer and feed heavy once the plant starts growing.
20230702_103208.jpg

The flower buds start out very small but grow quick.
5 buds so far, plant is in 75 gallon preform. Just keeping the plant wet, roots have filled the oond.
20230702_103300.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Thank you. I had fertilizer tabs for my other pond plants. I added 2 today. Thrive 10-14-8. I appreciate your insight. I really hope it blooms this year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
No luck again this year. Lots of leaves, but no blooms. In addition, the leaves are starting to yellow with no new growth. Is this normal for this time of year? I am in central PA. I am not giving up yet!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Thank you. I guess they are done for the year based on the fact they are starting to turn yellow with no new growth?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
Thank you. I guess they are done for the year based on the fact they are starting to turn yellow with no new growth?
Sounds like you are doing everything right , but no blooms. Maybe change you fertilizer. Note the ferts that I use in earlier threads. Works very well for me. Don't give up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
i was going to give lotus a shot next year but if they need weekly fertz ? i'm out
I have medium size lotus 3' + or - and I give them 3 tablets every 2 weeks. There are just starting to wind down from blooming. All 5 plants had numerous blooms starting in June. They need full sun and always water over the roots. Hang in there , once you get hooked, they are beautiful.

Ask a Question