Power Cords - How to run them?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I've been following this thread. My father was an electrician and did a lot of work for us on our house. By the time we decided to finally run power to our pond location (100+feet), he was no longer able to travel. We took some short cuts and yes, we both knew better, but hey- what could happen? Cable not buried deep enough- hit with edger. Conduit not used, it's amazing how much electrical wire looks like a raspberry cane! Also, NOT good! Wiring is now completely in conduit, 18" deep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes
I apologize if I sounded a bit huff. Thing is and Joe said this as well, you would not believe the stuff we run into in the field. I’m not talking messy. I’m talking someone could have got killed scary. I am all about DIY and helping people with the skills I’ve been given. But electricity as we all know is inheritly dangerous. It needs to be mitigated and harnessed correctly. If it’s not, it tends to go places you don’t want it to go. Your above install is safe and should be effective. 1 1/4 is a stretch. There’s 1 1/2 out there. Peace Pond Dwellers

I more than appreciate it and completely understand. That is why I'm here, to lean on knowledge from folks that have more than I do on this subject. I definitely don't want to shortcut, and want to make sure the above process I was going to do will work out.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question - it's greatly appreciated and not taken for granted.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm going to respectively add a hypothetical here... Let's say down the road one of the pumps goes kaput and has to be replaced. Its power cord, along with other cords, in large conduit underground, maybe with one or two elbows in it I'd assume (?)... Now try pulling it out, (lots of cussing ensues....). And even if one thought to tie a 20+ foot string to said plug before pulling it out of the pipe, now try to pull the new 3 prong plug and cord through there with the string, snagging the other cords along the way.... I'm thinking there will be lots more cussing.:banghead::mad::censored::censored::censored:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm going to respectively add a hypothetical here... Let's say down the road one of the pumps goes kaput and has to be replaced. Its power cord, along with other cords, in large conduit underground, maybe with one or two elbows in it I'd assume (?)... Now try pulling it out, (lots of cussing ensues....). And even if one thought to tie a 20+ foot string to said plug before pulling it out of the pipe, now try to pull the new 3 prong plug and cord through there with the string, snagging the other cords along the way.... I'm thinking there will be lots more cussing.:banghead::mad::censored::censored::censored:

I understand that as well. Luckily it will be a straight shot over with maybe just one elbow. I'm not planning on trenching in 20" or anything like that, but definitely something to think about. I'd just leave above ground, but the path from pump to outlet would cut right across main walking area around my current patio. Hmmm. The $1500 fix is out of my budget (for now), but will be long term idea I think. Still have a few other folks who are going to come out for a quote, and won't make a move one way or another for a few weeks while I'm finishing building the waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I understand that as well. Luckily it will be a straight shot over with maybe just one elbow. I'm not planning on trenching in 20" or anything like that, but definitely something to think about. I'd just leave above ground, but the path from pump to outlet would cut right across main walking area around my current patio. Hmmm. The $1500 fix is out of my budget (for now), but will be long term idea I think. Still have a few other folks who are going to come out for a quote, and won't make a move one way or another for a few weeks while I'm finishing building the waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
You’ll do just fine. There’s this stuff we call mule tape. It’s webbed and good up to 1250 pulling. We leave it in the pipes. A pull rope along with your cords is a great idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You’ll do just fine. There’s this stuff we call mule tape. It’s webbed and good up to 1250 pulling. We leave it in the pipes. A pull rope along with your cords is a great idea.

Thanks, so include a pull rope with my power cords? And the mule tape to tape everything together?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Thanks, so include a pull rope with my power cords? And the mule tape to tape everything together?
No no. The tape was an example of a pull rope. Don’t tape any of it together! No no no. Maybe just at the head for pulling purposes. Do not tape the cords together in the pipe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No no. The tape was an example of a pull rope. Don’t tape any of it together! No no no. Maybe just at the head for pulling purposes. Do not tape the cords together in the pipe.

Okay, whew! I didn't think so, glad you confirmed. I'll looked up the mule tape to see what you were talking about. Makes sense!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would use no larger than 2” but I think 1 1/4 will Work with staggered plugs.

Connected with The Pond Digger who advised me this is the best route. Again, not cutting any wires, cords reach my outlet which is 15-20’ from my pump and where cords are.
Thats how I am doing it.(Schedule 80) I am making a above round pond. On top of concrete, no other choice. I can t bury them. I think I can run elbows, etc and put the PVC behind the box.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thats how I am doing it.(Schedule 80) I am making a above round pond. On top of concrete, no other choice. I can t bury them. I think I can run elbows, etc and put the PVC behind the box.

Awesome! This will be my plan as well, It may have to have one, maybe two elbows in it depending on how I want to do it. Otherwise seems pretty straight forward I think!

Thanks for chiming in, glad I'm on the right track!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey Sparky!

Thanks for asking! Will be tackling this weekend most likely. Was dealing with liner not reaching waterfalls so Had to get a second piece f liner and get that placed yesterday and start rocking in waterfalls.

I plan to go the conduit route. However, I’m not concerned where I was going to run this is in site where we will be building a future deck.. so now I’m rethinking path to outlet..

Ask a Question