Power Cords - How to run them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Protecting the cords in pvc is fine as long as you’re not cutting and splicing cord caps. You are protecting the cord, you are not DIRECTLY burying it. Big difference. I will try to make this easy to understand. All wires’ ampacity is based on two things. The conductor itself and it’s insulation. Although beyond size the conductor remains the same (copper), the insulation dictates its usage. Some insulation is UV protected, some is waterproofed, some is for use in corrosive environments. The different insulation’s however also control how much heat is disapated. Free air ampacity is much different than direct burial ampacity. So there are multiple factors at work here. Can you take a run of the mill extension cord and bury it. Sure. Will it work? Sure. But believe me years and years of testing proves one thing. It will fail. When it fails, what will happen? Pump might just stop. Might leak to ground and find another way back to the source. That other way would be making someone part of the completed circuit (ouch). Might overheat because it can’t disapate it, cause a fire. Which mister inspector will find and suddenly the insurance company won’t pay because the install wasn’t listed (designed) for that use. So, as an electrician, you will find me quite stubborn on certain issues. Yeah, people say we make all this money because we’re electricians. Electrician means we schooled, got the license, kept that liscense up to date and keep people from frying themselves or equipment. Want some good reading? Next time you have the chance, grab our code book. It’s around 1000 pages and gets bigger every 2 years. Sorry about the rant and hope this cleared it up for you.
I’m not an electrician but as a member of a skilled trade my training is every day because the trade advances everyday. That is on top of training I need to go to to keep my certifications current. So yes you are expensive. When I need electrical work done I do all the grunt work. Dig the trench,drill all the holes in the wall provide access to the necessary make access . I follow code so they are willin to work with me. If you talk to your electrician he will tell you what you can do. I have even mounted boxes and ran cable so all he did was pull the permit ,inspect the before he made the connections. Charged me just for time spent being the electrician not the helper. As far as cord run in conduit under rock work or i I just did that this year to keep a critter from eating them. I just ran mine Thur concrete an spay foam just make sure it can drain so it doesn’t fill with water just did the same with my hose so I can pull them ou orphan conduit to replace and to remove for storage over winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Deflated now. :(

Turns out cord is not quite long enough to make t in one shot..

What are my options? Gfci extension cord outdoor rated? I hade a gfi breaker install in breaker box so whole circuit was protected so I could have an extra outlet added at the same time for future improvements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I used a 10 gauge exterior "romex" inside conduit, buried, running from an outdoor receptical to the pond, where it terminates in a single duplex outlet inside the "pump house". Everything plugs into that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow that price is high did you get more than 1 quote .My son who is a licensed electrician did mine and put the outlets on switch's .He did some up in NJ and he charged 560 dollars but he put in 2 breakers just for the pond and 6 outlets .But it was easy because the breaker box was outside.Find out from your building department a good electrician or word of mouth ,that guy wanted to get rich

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All!

Second post here, and getting close to finishing our pond install! We are very excited to get this up and going and finally fill it up with water!

One questions my wife and I have is what to do with the power cords of the pump and pond lights (3). We have four wires that were were going to twist tie together and run through conduit in an underground trench about 6-8" deep to our outlet on the outside of our house which is only about 15' or so from where our pump sits.

Does that sound about right?

We had a quote from an electricain to install an outlet on a post right next to our pond, but the quote came in at $1500! We certainly dont have that sort of budget for this, and wasn't expecting it to be that high.

Would my above method work, does it need to be that deep? Can I just hide cords with landscaping/bark, etc. The path from the pump to my outlet travels through my grass, so I couldn't really hide the cord the entire way without digging to put underground to make it look "presentable".

Any insight/input/suggestions are welcomed and thank you in advance!

You can't run those power cords in conduit! They are not suitable because the code doesn't allow it. They are not rated to be put in conduit. There are many reason why but the main one is overheating, the cable assemblies aren't able to dissipate heat if put in a conduit. Same reason that you can't put romex or UF cable in conduit.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ground contact romex and I have seen people here put a plug in and out on each end .Not sure never asked my son if that is safe .I keep forgetting to ask him

Ask a Question