preparign for winter questions

Reaction score
This will be my first winter and while I plan to add some heat and some airstones to my pond, I have elected to place some of my favorite koi into an 200 gallon aquarium I have set up. I also currently have some small 3" koi doing very well in a smaller 75 gallon tank that are slated to go into my next pond next spring. But I have a few questions to ask:

1) When should I pull the koi I want to bring inside out of the pond? I live in Michigan and my water temperature is still in the 70's, however we have a big change in weather coming in and I suspect temperatures will plummet into the 50's over the course of the next few days.

2) How many can I or should I put into the tank? I realize this isn't ideal, however I would think given the choice the koi would rather be inside than out. Filtration should be more than adequate. Most of my Koi are in the 6" range with one about 10" and one about 14" which I think will remain in the pond for the winter.

3) How do others acclimate thier koi from one environment to the next? If I wate until the water temperatures are in the 50's, do you still bag them with o2 and place them into the tank or will this still be too quick?

4) When do you cut your water lilly's back for winter?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
when you bring your koi indoors...both Avance,and I pump the water from our ponds out doors to our pond indoors. this way your fish are acclimated to the water already. and it doesant really matter when they are moved..i will bringing mine in with in the next week or so....we both also transfer medias between filters so theres no lapse in bacterial activity. as far as numbers in tanks, i dont know, but... you can get a baby pool, i got one that was 250 gals for $8.00 on clearence at meijers 6' round, 15" deep if youve got room.and i cut my lillies back when i move the fish.

Reaction score
Yes, I too plan on transfering media. The tank is a reef tank, pre-drilled overflow into a 30 gallon sump in which I have mechanical and biological filtration.

Reaction score
I would love to do the inside 500 gallon pond like you do Koiguy, unfortunately the significant other put the kabosh to that ;( Thats why I ended up with the 200 gallon reef tank.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
actually 800 gals.full.750 where i 'll fill it to....but my fish hate me when i move them...if they knew they were going inside instead of spending the winter in freezing cold water, theyd swim into the net, bucket or whatever themselves and i wouldnt have to chase them at all!

Reaction score
Yup pond temperature at 7:00 pm yesterday 74 degrees. Pond temperature today at same time today 62 degrees, and I suspect tomorrow it will be near 55. Gotta love Michigan.........

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my water temp is 54* this morning... and were supposed to be in the 50s & upper 40s thru the week time to move my guys inside. 39* tommorrow night..i hate michigans weather this year

Reaction score
Yup, been a weird year for sure, we lost 20+ degrees of water temperature in 36 hours.....poor guys..... And I was hoping to make it until near the end of October.

Reaction score
yep! 85 degrees yesterday and 70 today. Water was at 60 degrees this morning. was 65 degrees yesterday morning...and was windy so the leaves were blowing around.

Reaction score
Down to 56 degrees here, the rain/wind is making this cool down period excellerate quite a bit. Finally managed to catch one koi for the indoor tank, maybe by christmas I will have all the ones I plan on bringing inside.

After about an hour of trying I finally gave in and yanked my lillys and cut them back. I noticed the lilly (bulb?) Growing right out of the pot. Can these be cut like an Iris bulb and made into two plants?

How do others acclimate there outside Koi to an indoor tank? Currently the one I caught is in a five gallon pail with a drip line from the aquarium.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I just leave my lilly pads in the pond all winter and then separate and re-plant in the spring. I do the re-planting at about the point where they are starting to sprout new growth.

Reaction score
I am leaving mine in as well, I just cut back the pads, no need to have them decaying over winter...........

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
nc0gnet0 said:
I am leaving mine in as well, I just cut back the pads, no need to have them decaying over winter...........

Doing the same here...Chicago is starting to get into the 40s at night and high 50s\Low 60s during the day.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I really miss that fall weather
It is getting a little cooler here , but not enough

Ask a Question