Problem With Filter

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
so if you can get your U.V series name, model number, google it and find out its an older model or discontinued...if it is, and you find the right bulbs and you can afford it, you may want to stock up a few extra bulbs. cause if you wait you may need to buy a whole new unit.

Reaction score
carolinaguy said:
kooky has a good point about uv lights. if they say they last 12 months, you probably should change them out at 10. they gradually deteriorate so the output might be 40 percent by then. the other issue is whether or not you really need a uv light on that pond. is it shaded by landscaping? plus, English skies are not especially blue most of the time, so how much do you really need? i've got a 4000 gallon pond, but i only use a 25 watt uv because of the amount of shade, and it works just fine. i don't know if you can do it, but the quartz sleeve will become coated with junk and attenuate the uv rays. can you wipe it off? mine came with a wiper that seems to help.

the other thing is to make sure you can still get a replacement bulb for your uv. sometimes they stop making a certain model. and when you decide to change the bulb, read the uv instructions. you can find them online with the manufacturer if you don't have them. the most common problem with a uv is breaking the quartz sleeve when you change the bulb.

Most every UV bulb is standard and sold as Germicidal fluorescent lamps. The quartz sleeves are not standard. Pet product companies just can't afford to manufacture proprietary fluorescent lamps.

Reaction score
At the moment its the cracks that are most important, due to the water loss, do you guys think the stuff I bought will do the job ok?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
kevinsmbuk said:
At the moment its the cracks that are most important, due to the water loss, do you guys think the stuff I bought will do the job ok?

I don't see why not, it is fish safe (cured). Made for ponds, and is a sealant.

go for it

and I like the looks of your pond, even with it being neglected.

Ask a Question