Problem With Filter

Reaction score
We have recently been working on our pond, basically it has been left to ruin for 7 years and the pond was literally full of waste on the bottom, this has all been cleared and the water remains crystal clear, we now are trying to get the filter system working!!!

I have little knowledge of filter systems so this is where you guys come in!

As I understand it we have a 4 tank gravity fed pond filter system, the problem we have is no water appears to be going into the filter system...

Here is a video to explain more and show you what I mean!!!

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]RPKDGDP-AuU[/MEDIA]"]

Hopefully this will explain how I understand it to work, the previous home owner said the 2 valves together do not need to be open.

We have not run the filter for no more than 10-15 secs as we were worried about damaging the filter with no water going through it or do we have to run it for longer in order to draw the water up that black pipe leading into the filter?

Your help is appreciated!

Reaction score
Kevin, could you draw us a simple (not to scale) diagram showing the location of the various components and the way the piping runs to and from each? It would be very helpful.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
:lol: You move real fast with the camera
The 2 valves they are grouped together looked closed they could be your filter feed lines.
Pondmaster has a good idea about a simple drawing of the plumbing lay out

Reaction score
Pondmaster said:
Kevin, could you draw us a simple (not to scale) diagram showing the location of the various components and the way the piping runs to and from each? It would be very helpful.

Good idea and I would love to, but I didn't build the pond, it was done by the previous owner of the house, it hasn't been used for about 7 years since the house was purchased.

What I probably need to know is does the pump pull the water up that black pipe using suction, if so do you think I should leave the pump running for a few minutes to build up some pressure?

Reaction score
Pondmaster said:
Thanks DrCase, I also thought the 2 knife valves appeared to be closed.

Yes, on the instructions from the previous owner it says he never had these open, he said it lets more water into the tanks from the pond, I dont think they are needed.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
sorry im not going to be any help over the pump cause i dont have a clue,! but im a little worried that if you should get it working ...its been 7 years since it was running yes ? are those filters clean because if mucks been sitting in them for that long as soon as your pump starts running all the water is going to run back into your pond and that might be a problem

Reaction score
Can you take some photos instead of the video? Start at the beginning of the system, the water inlet or skimmer, then move to the next piece of equipment inline. Take nice large photos ( at least 800x600) so we can see what they are.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
one thing i did notice... it appears that the lid to your pumps prefilter leaf basket primer pot is off... is it missing?... it is neccessary to use pump. you need the seal it provides to have any suction or draw.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
one thing i did notice... it appears that the lid to your pumps prefilter leaf basket primer pot is off... is it missing?... it is neccessary to use pump. you need the seal it provides to have any suction or draw.

That's true he also needs to pour water into the basket primer pot then secure the lid with Oring and immediately run the primed pump before the water drains away.

Reaction score
koisRus said:
Can you take some photos instead of the video? Start at the beginning of the system, the water inlet or skimmer, then move to the next piece of equipment inline. Take nice large photos ( at least 800x600) so we can see what they are.

Yeah sure I can, I will be about on Sunday this weekend so I will get some pics up showing the whole system

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:

Yeah It was just to show for the video, it is usually on, with a tight seal

Reaction score
Pondmaster said:
That's true he also needs to pour water into the basket primer pot then secure the lid with Oring and immediately run the primed pump before the water drains away.

This is the sort of thing I need to know, so what does this exactly do? Does it help pull the water up into the basket from the black pipe?

Reaction score
kevinsmbuk said:
This is the sort of thing I need to know, so what does this exactly do? Does it help pull the water up into the basket from the black pipe?

Yes as long as the pipe from pond to pump has no obstructions and is below water the priming water helps create a vacuum seal so the pump can begin to draw water. When it takes off you'll know it.

Ask a Question