Professional pond guys - how did you get to where you are?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got interested in ponds after almost taking a repair job on, but I really have no experience. For you guys who do it for a living...how did you get to do it for a living. Seems like you need to know quite a bit...masonry, plants, fish, filtration, etc... I'd like to get into it, but don't have much experience with any of that. Seems like a fun thing to add to my landscaping business. I'm a solo guy and have been looking to add something like else because I'm really only doing basic maintenance, and I need to find a better moneymaker.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
GBBUDD - you beat me to it! I am not a professional AT ALL. But I learned sooooo much from watching all the TeamAquascape videos on YouTube. By watching them, you can get the basic ideas of how they work and what the philosophies are -- if it is exciting to you, you could look into a Pondemonium and find out more about the programs they have for becoming a certified Aquascape contractor. If I were younger and able to switch gears on a whim, I would do this! Pond building is so much fun!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm knocking at 60 , hardly a job you want moving boulders and shovels. But that's what youth is for . One can always point and move controls in an excavator. loved building my pond .

how did your pond do with the freeze

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would never build a pond for someone else. I can deal with my mistakes, a person paying you can't.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I do wonder what makes the OP think there are professionals posting here... we see very few of them actually.

@Tbirkey - adding waterscaping to a landscape business is truly the way to go, but make sure you learn from people who know what they're doing. Aquascape is the world leader in both pond building and pond products - I'd definitely start there.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yeah, none of the regulars here are professionals in the industry. But what most of us have is a working knowledge of good husbandry practices (whether we follow them or not is another discussion) and how to setup and maintain our own outdoor water gardens. Understanding circulation in the pond, various filter types/the best for your individual goals for your pond, needs of the aquatic life you are trying to keep and how to establish a food chain/web. To the OP understand the mechanisms and science behind what makes a water feature of any type work.

Personally, because of my line of work ( one of my jobs is building marsh creations/living shorelines in the Chesepeake Bay Area). I understand (but always learning) how To use plants as a filter for a pond, which ones I want to use for aesthetics and which ones are the workhorses that are huge nutrient consumers.

Really,digging into the weeds on this stuff is pretty much putting in the time to learn from the pros like Aquascape going to workshops or watching a lot of videos/podcasts and if you don’t have a natural eye for design and how rocks, wood can come together to look natural, you can train and develop that skill, It will definitely be worth your time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
if you don’t have a natural eye for design and how rocks, wood can come together to look natural, you can train and develop that skill,
I 100% agree. Learn what you like - you'll know it when you see it - and then break it down to the basic elements of the design.

Pond building is not just stacking boulders or lining up rocks around the edge of a hole in the ground. The beauty comes from understanding what looks natural to the human eye. You look at a manmade waterfall that's nothing more than a rock pile and you instinctively know nature would never - in fact, could never - create that. When it clicks, it's like magic. So simple you wonder how you missed it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Before going off the deep end, start by investing in a high quality water test kit. I would also recommend getting your feet wet with aquariums first or a small pond in your own backyard. Then when your water features become stable no algae blooms no swinging water parameters then you will have a product worth selling.

Saltwater reef owners are at the forefront of water quality and is a great source of information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One can always point and move controls in an excavator. loved building my pond .

I'm 55 and have a few bad joint knees and shoulder but home depot rents a small excavator that the tracks slide in under the machine you can drive it easily threw a standard chain link fence gate. I dug my pond in 1 week 30 x 40 x 3foot deep with striat walls was going to make a beach but earlier this year I had several large koi eaten by 2 blue Herron I believe the same bird each time. so couple of caves later and rock piles for smaller fish. If I can do it anyone can watch aquascape videos take notes get a few cheap Craigslist fish tanks and try to raise plants see how that goes then try a couple fish all pond fish and plants do not trade in with warm water stuff try indigenous plant and fish the idea is to get use to names of plants and fish please try learn proper names not common or slang and it is rewarding work hard also

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Preaching to the quire my good man i'm right there with you. I had two all terrane fork trucks, a skid steer, and at least three excavators at different times in the build of my pond.
LOVED EVERY MINUTE AND STILL DO
pond clarity (1 of 1).jpg

Ask a Question