Protecting fish from aerial predators

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My water lilies have no problem blooming with shade sails over them. They don't cut out all the light and will still get some direct sun under them as the sun moves across the sky.

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My water lilies have no problem blooming with shade sails over them. They don't cut out all the light and will still get some direct sun under them as the sun moves across the sky.
Where did you get yours? I can do a Google, but thought I’d ask first.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly, there is nothing better then a net. I don't know how large your pond is but we constructed a "hoop house frame" from electrical conduit ( sprayed painted black ) and have a wide weave fishing net over it. It's tall that I can lift it and get under it to work beside the pond.
I did what you see in here FL occasionally where birds are not wanted like in outdoor cafes. I stretched fishing line randomly across the top of the pond just a few inches above the water and attached it to the rocks that outline the pond. I ran about 6 lines across on odd angles with openings about 2' x 2'. It's not critical. Outdoor cafes here will run it from table umbrella to umbrella and the birds won't fly below it.
I found this link just now for you to read. You have to cut and paste it to a new tab or it will not open correctly.

https://www.farmshow.com/a_article....hing line strung,rafters will keep birds away.

For me it works well for the fish and other situations to keep out birds. Good Luck!
Herb

Last edited:

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks, everybody. Lots of good ideas, and even some I’d never thought or heard of.

Funny story..... the day I heard that kingfisher announcing his presence, and before I actually saw him circling the pond, I knew I had heard that bird before.... actually many times it seemed.... and once I saw him, I knew I had also seen him many times, but where? Once I came indoors, it became clear. I have a clock in my kitchen from the National Audubon Society. Each hour on the clock is a different bird and their sound. Wouldn’t you know it.... 9:00 is the Belted Kingfisher! So I hear him twice on most days.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
DSC_0014.JPG

This was my solution to the Kingfisher problem. In the warmer weather, a net is supported about 4' over the water to keep the herons from cleaning out the pond. Unfortunately, the neighbour's cedar hedge (South side) has now reached 30' in height, the spruce (just behind in this view) is about 40' tall, and the pond gets virtually NO direct sunlight. As a result, I've had no flowers on the lillies for about 5 years, and now move them to a large stock tank for the summer so they can bloom. Most of the rest of the plants have died off.
John

Ask a Question