Protecting fish from aerial predators

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It’s been awhile since I’ve checked in here. Howdy everybody!

I live in Michigan, land of lots of water. Hence, lots of water birds......and predatory birds. We’ve had great blue herons standing by the edge of our pond scoping out the fish. They are almost as tall as me! We purposely dug the sides straight down to prevent them from easily getting our fish. However, until a week ago, we didn’t even know there was another predatory bird to be concerned with, and they don’t stand at the edge. They dive straight in. It’s called a belted kingfisher. I was out gardening one morning, and I heard an awful, loud, screeching bird. I am an avid bird watcher/lover, and I had never heard this bird before. I looked up and saw him. I’ve never even seen one around here before, but I guess they are not uncommon. They are quite comical looking. Anyhow, I didn’t witness it, but I believe he did get several of my fish. Unfortunately one of them was as old as our pond.

Once the lilies grow sufficient foliage, there is ample cover for the fish. Until then, they are sitting ducks. Is there anything that will dissuade that type of predator? Anything I could float temporarily that doesn’t look too tacky? Between the raccoon, feral cats, possums, and fish loving birds.....ugh.

Any suggestions? I’d prefer not to put a net back on. Thanks, everybody.

Sandy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Take away tge flight path of the birds I placed a pole 20 feet tall ran cable so that there's n I w a visible obsticle for tge birds to have to fly by and landing is one thing but a flight path out there is not. And when I go away I pull golf netting to close the outside perimeter it's in my build blog . Link is below never a issue yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Honestly, there is nothing better then a net. I don't know how large your pond is but we constructed a "hoop house frame" from electrical conduit ( sprayed painted black ) and have a wide weave fishing net over it. It's tall that I can lift it and get under it to work beside the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
they don't call them 'kings of fishers' for nothing; put the net back on and relax.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Honestly, there is nothing better then a net. I don't know how large your pond is but we constructed a "hoop house frame" from electrical conduit ( sprayed painted black ) and have a wide weave fishing net over it. It's tall that I can lift it and get under it to work beside the pond.
I'd love to see a picture of your hoop house. I'd done something similar in my old pond, but would like better ideas.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No dive bombing here.

Attachments

• pergola.jpeg
    pergola.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 56

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I thank you all for your replies. I guess I’ll have to give it some thought. For my situation, throwing the net back on isn’t an easy decision. I know there are all kinds of opinions out there about allowing ducks in a pond, but we have a pair that have come every year for the past 8 years. We enjoy them very much, have named them, and they even come to our sliding glass door when we call them to get their corn. If I put the net back on, they can’t get in. I guess I have to pick my battles... I’m hoping (probably foolishly) that the kingfisher forgets about us. We’ve seen herons here 3 or 4 times, but the pond is deep enough with straight sides that I feel halfway confident about them. The pond is about 16x28 and about 3,000 gallons. If he continues to come around, I guess I’ll have no choice. I’ve already relocated 3 coon, 1 opossum, and also caught a cat. The cat didn’t get relocated, but he did get a nice shower before I let him out. We have way too many cats around here, both feral and “pets”. WHY do people allow their pet cats to roam? So unwise. ☹️

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nitrate? Self and another member have gone away with the net draped over the pond and concentrated more on the birds ability to land and take off. A 16 x 28 pond is not so big to accomplish this even in the middle of an open field. I used an old wood distribution pole but a old tree or even a 6x6 or larger 16 feet long or less could do the job.
I then placed a cable from it to a tree and the other end to the house on the second floor. . I then hung golf netting off that cable. I have no less then 4 heron fly overhead everyday as I have a stocked trout pond across the street and a wetland and a pond behind me. It seems even the cables them selves are doing the job because I do not pull the netting closed anymore and have not had a problem since. The nicest part is from my sitting area even with the net pulled shut its barely noticeable as the net is 30 feet away . You can see in the pick between the pole and the pulled back net the bet between is barely noticable
20210524_110558.jpg
20210524_110558.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a similar net but had a small deer get caught up in it over night and sadly did not survive. I wanted that to be a good solution, but didn't want to see any more animals get tangled.

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wow, that is really a beautiful pond! Thanks for sharing the net idea. Really blends in nicely.

Lots of plants....nitrates not a problem so far (8 years in).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you
4 years in and getting better every day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What about putting up shade sails? We use them every summer and they are probably 15 to 20 feet above the pond. But they block the view of any birds flying over and keep the water cooler in high sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We have shade sails over our pond. I do think they block the view of the pond, in addition to providing shade. That said, we found a great blue heron peeking under it last Spring :oops:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Some use the motion sensor scarecrow but I think the birds would just get used to it after awhile.

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have a motion sensor water scarecrow. It works pretty well for cats and maybe racoon, not sure about herons. But since kingfishers dive, not sure it would help. Thankfully, I have not seen him back, but obviously that doesn’t mean much since I’m not outdoors 24/7. I haven’t noticed any more missing fish. The shade sails sound interesting. Will have to read up a bit. My water lilies prefer full sun to bloom, so I’m not sure how that would impact them. It all kind of ties together. If it’s not one thing....

Ask a Question