Pump Concern

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had an issue with the pump sucking Koi fry into it? I actually found a newt had been sucked halfway into it and had drowned and I'm a softie and don't like to harm/kill critters.

I would appreciate any suggestions you would have to keep this from happening.

:sun_smiley: Thanks! Cynthia

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yes I lot a fish last year as it ended up in my filter on top of the filter media and died there .

Reaction score
For a submersible pump try the following. Place the pump in a plastic milk carton you can buy from any home improvement store. While there also by a roll of screen window/door netting and some zip ties. Wrap the screen around the milk carton and completely secure the netting around the pump and hose with the zip ties so nothing can get in. This will keep out most fry and it will also distribute the intake suction to a bigger area so that anything cannot get too close to be caught in the suction.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Had my pump in a milk crate with bags of lava rock around it and thought nothing could get through it .Screening may work but also may get clogged up with gunk or algae so may have to just take it out and hose it off once in awhile just to make sure .

Ask a Question