Pump died - triple digits forecasted for this weekend

Reaction score
Country
United States
A quick update: The ponds ended up being without a pump for 12 days. Fortunately, the fish seem no worse for the experience. I'm sure the large size of the ponds and low stocking rate were key to not having any major issues. The highest water temp I saw was 75°F. They were very excited when water started flowing down the waterfall and stream though!

When we install our bog filter in a few months, I think it would be prudent to have a second pump that feeds the bog. How does that work when I have a skimmer? The current setup has just one intake via the skimmer which then feeds the waterfall to the upper pond. The pump is submerged in the skimmer.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 3 pumps in each of my ponds, 2 run filters and the other for the bog. I use submersible pumps, suspended off the bottom of the pond so you aren't pumping any solids to the bog.
Glad to hear that your fish survived for so long with no pump!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can split the pipe to the falls with a Tee Y as it is called do not use just a T.

T look at the shape of the T picture water comes into the T at the bottow it then hits the top of the T where it then spits off to either direction. Now the Tee Y same idea water comes in the bottom but when it hits the top of the Y the water Y st splits it does not hit the Top of the T th I s gives you less stress to your water flow which is called head pressure. The more head pressure the more electricity you need to push the same amount of water. Then after the split I strongly suggest you install a ball valve on each pipe so you can regulate how much water goes where.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Glad to hear all the fish survived! I have three pumps in my little pond, plus an aerator.

Ask a Question