pump for skimmer

Reaction score
I recently got my skimmer,but now I need a pump for the skimmer. Will any submergible pump work or fit inside a skimmer? I got the Atlantic Water Gardens PS4500 Skimmer. Any recommendation for a pump to get?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I can recommend this, Don't get a pump any larger than the recommend pump rate, not even 100gph bigger. The skimmer is rated for the amount of water it can handle to feed a pump!!! Go slightly smaller if anything. and make sure your turning over at least one total volume of water if not 1.5 times per hour. laguana seems to be one of the most highly recommend submersible pumps from most on here. (I have not used one so far) I use the pumps from Lowes. they aren't the best quality BUT, if one goes out while under warranty, they replace it, they are always in stock, I don't have to wait for one to come in a week after it goes out, and they are fairly energy effecient. The down side is, 1-2 years is about average life span, I've heard members that have the Laquana's that have lasted 5-7+years, they cost about twice as much initially but, they save money in the long haul. Kind of trade off IMO, I like knowing I can get a replacement fast if needed, Guess cause I have had to replace a few in my years from using cheap pumps.........lol

Reaction score
Not even that. Check eBay and wait the 3-5 days it takes to ship. I got a 3000 gal Laguna maxflow that can do solids for 150 and has a 5 year warranty plus lower energy rating. A 1200 gal Lowe's or Homedepot pump will run you like 120 bucks and isn't even 1/2 that. Your manual will state the flows. You want to be between the min and max flow rate. To low and it will not create much surface tension to suck stuff in. To high and your pump will run dry. I would try to stay a little under the max since flow will slow also as leaves and stuff fill the basket.

Ask a Question