Skimmer pump recommendations

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Folks,

I've had 2 of the same pumps fail in just under 5 years. There has to be a better brand than this thing. Does anyone have any recommendations?

My old one is a SKP5000. This one died after a hard freeze and I turned it off before the freeze began.

I have no idea what the company is and I cannot find it online. It goes from a Helix Skimmer about 20 feet to a large Helix bio-mechanical waterfall filter.

I'm wondering if it was under powered. The pond itself is about 2000 gallons.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I know very little about pumps - my husband handles the equipment end of things - but I would personally hesitate to use a pump in a pond that says it's suitable for a pond or aquarium - conditions outdoors are much harsher than an aquarium pump would face, so that alone could be the reason your pumps have failed.

And at 500 GPH, it is indeed too small for your pond - you want a pump that circulates the whole volume of your pond 1.5 to 2 times per hour - but that alone shouldn't burn out a pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I know very little about pumps - my husband handles the equipment end of things - but I would personally hesitate to use a pump in a pond that says it's suitable for a pond or aquarium - conditions outdoors are much harsher than an aquarium pump would face, so that alone could be the reason your pumps have failed.

And at 500 GPH, it is indeed too small for your pond - you want a pump that circulates the whole volume of your pond 1.5 to 2 times per hour - but that alone shouldn't burn out a pump.

My old one was a SKP5000 rated at I think 5100gph. I think it was made for outdoors just doesn't last very long.

Ask a Question