A pond skimmer and bottom drain to one filter and pump?

Reaction score
Im preparing to put my first pond into my back yard and so I've been researching for a very long time and what items I should use for my pond. From what I've read both a pond skimmer and a bottom drain are musts for ponds with near by trees and fish in the pond which my pond will be. The problem is that I only want to buy one nice filter instead of two less functional and cheap filters and one high power above ground pump is there any way to combine both pipes leading from the pond skimmer and bottom drain into one central pump that leads to the filter, the pump, and then out to the waterfall or jets. Does anyone know if that is possible, and if it is possible which pump and filter would be the best to meet those needs. The pond Im planning on building is suppoes to be about 3600 gallons of water.

Reaction score
Im preparing to put my first pond into my back yard and so I've been researching for a very long time and what items I should use for my pond. From what I've read both a pond skimmer and a bottom drain are musts for ponds with near by trees and fish in the pond which my pond will be. The problem is that I only want to buy one nice filter instead of two less functional and cheap filters and one high power above ground pump is there any way to combine both pipes leading from the pond skimmer and bottom drain into one central pump that leads to the filter, the pump, and then out to the waterfall or jets. Does anyone know if that is possible, and if it is possible which pump and filter would be the best to meet those needs. The pond Im planning on building is suppoes to be about 3600 gallons of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's best if you keep the skimmer and bd seperate IMHO.
You could use 1 smaller pump on each.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's best if you keep the skimmer and bd seperate IMHO.
You could use 1 smaller pump on each.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With a pump on the skimmer to waterfall you could put a bypass in the lines then in the winter you could pump the skimmer water back to the pond by a pipe through your liner or tpr's.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With a pump on the skimmer to waterfall you could put a bypass in the lines then in the winter you could pump the skimmer water back to the pond by a pipe through your liner or tpr's.

Reaction score
Curious to why it is best to keep the skimmer and BD on separate pumps. I was planning on putting a ball valve on the skimmer pipe to regulate flow. Is this not wise?

Reaction score
Curious to why it is best to keep the skimmer and BD on separate pumps. I was planning on putting a ball valve on the skimmer pipe to regulate flow. Is this not wise?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If they both go to the pump then the poo from your bottom drain is pureed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If they both go to the pump then the poo from your bottom drain is pureed.

Ask a Question