Pump protection

Reaction score
I recently purchased the Laguna 4280 in order to upgrade my filtration. The pump seems to be sucking up all little bits of plants, etc that quickly cover the pump. Doesn't this lessen the efficacy of the pump? Make it work harder? Any ideas on how to prevent this? Laguna suggested a mesh bag to protect the pump but wouldnt the pump just suck this up to, making the problem worse? Thanks for any help!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats why I keep very few plants in my pond .I found that putting my pump in a bucket with holes drilled in it and bags of lava rock on top helps .I have one of those pump protectors and it was useless .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
throwingcopper81 said:
I recently purchased the Laguna 4280 in order to upgrade my filtration. The pump seems to be sucking up all little bits of plants, etc that quickly cover the pump. Doesn't this lessen the efficacy of the pump? Make it work harder? Any ideas on how to prevent this? Laguna suggested a mesh bag to protect the pump but wouldnt the pump just suck this up to, making the problem worse? Thanks for any help!
I checked the Laguna website and it doesn't show a 4280. It's a newer model and they haven't updated the website with it. But it shows a 4200, which looks the same as the 4200.
http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/maxflopumps/maxflo.php?link=141

According to the manual here:
http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/manuels/max_flow4200.pdf?link=1401
You can buy an intake strainer. I'm betting that the 4280 uses something like that as well.
The manual also shows you how to clean the pump.

Here's the intake strainer for the 4200.
http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Intake-Strainer-Max-Flo-Waterfall/dp/B0017JJWVQ
At $10, that would be very cheap, but you'd have to check to make sure that it works with the 4280 as well.
Edit: I've found that it fits the 4280 as well:
http://ca-en.hagen.com/Water-Gardening/Replacement-Parts/PT357

Alternatively, you can buy the mesh or pump sock.
Those would be the easiest options.

A better but more complex option would be to use some empty milk crates and stuff that with matting so that the solids are caught by the matting before getting to the pump. This would act as a pre-filter.

Reaction score
throwingcopper81 said:
The pump seems to be sucking up all little bits of plants, etc that quickly cover the pump. Doesn't this lessen the efficacy of the pump? Make it work harder?
Yes and yes. Can even damage the pump.

What do you mean by "little bits of plants"? Are we talking about algae?
throwingcopper81 said:
Any ideas on how to prevent this?
I keep the pump off the bottom.

And/or I place the pump after the skimmer.

Keeping the pond clean by scooping with a net or vacuuming reduces stuff that will clog.

You can make larger baskets out of wire or plastic mesh. The pump can handle certain size stuff, like 1/4" or whatever the manufacturer says. The trick is to only try and stop larger stuff and let the smaller stuff go thru the pump. Using matting type stuff will stop smaller stuff clogging faster and also algae can grow on it and clog it. So you'd be right back to cleaning.

If this is an algae problem it can overwhelm anything. I once made a pre-filter the size of 30 gal trash can I kid you not. It clogged. Just no way around it, dead algae has to be dealt with another way, direct removal.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
if the mesh is too fine, it can become clogged with particulates and prevent enough water from flowing into the pump, thereby causing the pump to overheat. or, you can remove the mesh and clean it out periodically but keep an eye out for it. I have trees over my water features so this time of year a lot of leaves are landing in the water

Ask a Question