Pump - Sunterra vs. Pondscape

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks for the info, Noobfisher. I see that the Sunterra's have the 5 year warranty, so they should be pretty good I would think. But, seems the Laguna is cheaper to run so still deciding. I think my pond is going to be filled with no pump purchased yet. LOL Maybe I'll let my Golden Retriever swim in it to stir it up til I get a pump. :)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
CountryEscape said:
Thanks for the info, Noobfisher. I see that the Sunterra's have the 5 year warranty, so they should be pretty good I would think. But, seems the Laguna is cheaper to run so still deciding. I think my pond is going to be filled with no pump purchased yet. LOL Maybe I'll let my Golden Retriever swim in it to stir it up til I get a pump. :)

Hope your joking, Dogs and ponds should be avoided, Their nails will rip a filled liner in a heartbeat! Walmart pool for the dog, liner pond for the fish, I know My lab has his on pool and not allowed in the fish pond. I had a keeshound that took out a liner! Had a customer that their Neighbors golden retiever got a pond and a above ground swimming pool out in the same day. They didn't know the dog had ripped the liner in the pond until a few days later because when the pool burst it flooded the whole backyard including the pond and all the fish got killed because of the chlorine. When all the water dried in the yard it dried in the pond too, a very large cut down the whole side. Not what you want to see,:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, Fishin, I was joking. :) But, thanks for the warning. I think that's why I have taken extra time to make sure that UNDER the liner is as safe as can be for the liner as well. I do have steps for getting out, but I got to thinking that if my little Bostons fall in, they will not reach the first ledge, once the level of the pond is filled higher than ground level. :) I'm hoping none of them go near it once it's done. If the Golden tries, I'll put up a fence to keep him out! He has the farm pond to swim in, and I usually have the Wal-Mart kiddie pool filled for them to play in when it gets hot, so no excuse for him!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Cool! I like happy dogs and glad you are thinking ahead. I talk with a guy in Calif. that has a blind dog, she fell in his pond last year and it was a real scare. They got a collar that you put on and a underground cable that if the dog gets to close it gives some type of warning. He was so scared she would fall in and drown and then we heard it happened to a fellow site member. But their dog fell through the ice. He got one and believes in it, something to think about if you get to worried. I can find out the name of what it was if anybody wants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I've my eye on some nice sections of iron fencing to put around the pond. I think it won't distract from the view, but WILL keep the dogs out! That's probably what I will do if need to keep them out. The Golden, though, is VERY obedient and humble. If he gets close and I holler at him, he will likely stay away for good. And, daughter is talking about taking him back with her to UT this summer when she comes to visit.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My little yorkie is never outside without me, there is a red fox that hangs around, owls etc.

Glad you are thinking of your doggies country, they are our children, our job to take care of them.

The wireless fencing works great once you train them, a lot of people can turn off the system after the dogs learn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, Addy, my sister in WI has the underground system, but it just dawned on me, are you talking about something different than the underground? Wireless? I will assume you are referring to the wire you bury in the ground, dog wears collar, but if not, then please tell me more. I totally did not catch this the first time around, Fishin! Maybe this is something to think about after all.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some put it under the ground, or if you have fencing I have seen it installed on fencing. Under ground you put up little white flags to let the dog "see" the fence. They quickly associate that area with the buzz of the collar. No clue how long it takes, prob depends on the dog. Then you take down the flags and the pup stays away from that area that buzzed them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
that is neat fishin............an alarm if the pup falls in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Very good idea! My only problem is if a dog falls in while I'm gone to work. But, since the Bostons are in a pen unless I'm home, it would work very well. I'm pretty sure the Golden will stay out of the pond. Interesting concept indeed! And "pup" monitor as well. LOL Like a baby monitor.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
already heard it worked to save one dog, we are seriously considering one for our pug, she's half blind half deaf, can't swim hardly at all and we have the pond and the pool. once in a while she will come out and sit and sun and I let her sit outside by herself for a while. Always watch but that would be another safety precaution that if I use it would help if she should happen to fall in. I think it's a great idea for older smaller dogs for sure.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My neighbors dog fell into our 1000 gallon stock tank, it was tall enough not to drown, but not get out. Luckily we were not out of town. The tank is now a bog garden. The pond anything can walk out that falls in, will mess up the lilies, but at least whatever it is won't drown. The 300 gallon lotus pond is full of lotus pots so anything that lands in it can get out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a little wire fence around mine but if anything really wanted in it could do it. Anything could get out as I have a plant ledge and then a rock layer ledge also. Cat fell in once and was hanging on to the rock ledge. She could'a got out herself but I reached in and grabbed her out. She was not too happy.........never happened again :rolleyes:

Ask a Question