Pump - Sunterra vs. Pondscape

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Does anyone have knowledge of either of these brands? On E-Bay the Sunterra 4300 is $162 and the Pondscape 4000 GPH is $105, both including shipping.
I just finished digging my pond, and it will have approximately 4,000 gallons of water. It's 19' long and average of 8.5' wide, average of 44" deep. I plan to have a waterfall, with pump sucking from the deepest part, in the middle. I will also need a separate pump (I assume, that is) to run a skimmer which will send the "skimmed" water through a pipe to the bog plant area which is approx. 12' away, running up through the pea gravel and plants, and then overflowing back into the pond. This second pump will also tee off to run a fountain, if that can work. I'm learning as I go, and asking lots of questions is the plan for me.
Thanks for your help!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sorry, I'm not familar with those two pumps. Wish I could help on that but from what I have heard and read a lot of folks believe in, Laquna pumps. They make a really good pump that has one of the longest warranties and can handle some solids and has a cover basket that will help protect the pump better for your application, worth considering. I am also a fan of running at least 1 -1 1/2 total capacity turn over rate of the pond, (4000 gallon pond I like having between 4000-8000 gph of water turn over rate, even if only half of that is through the primary filter. Using two pumps and two different filtering methods has one great benefit, if one goes down you have a back up running until you can get it fixed, Believe me, I'm glad I run two seperate pumps and filters.!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have one for the bog, one on a timer for the stream and little ponds, and a back up pump for both systems.

evolution series 3500 and either 4200 or 4500 can't recall. Very low electric use.

Reaction score
Fishin4cars is right on, the Laguna pumps are very good and efficient, the 4200 uses only 160 watts. I have run mine 24/7 for over two years without a even a hiccup. You can purchase the 4200 for $169. If you can't find it at that price pm me. I believe Laguna has a mail in rebate going on right now of $35.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pondmaster said:
Fishin4cars is right on, the Laguna pumps are very good and efficient, the 4200 uses only 160 watts. I have run mine 24/7 for over two years without a even a hiccup. You can purchase the 4200 for $169. If you can't find it at that price pm me. I believe Laguna has a mail in rebate going on right now of $35.

Wow Laguna has much better rating for energy use compared to this pump that I have and mine at this time is costing $178.99. Is there anything here w/ mine that is better than the Laguna in comparison?

Pondmaster Model 24 Pump 2400GPH
Pondmaster Model 24 magnetic drive pumps are specifically designed to meet the demands of a pond. Unlike most other pumps on the market, magnetic drive pumps are made to run continuously, without seals to wear out. Pondmaster Model 24 Magnetic drive pumps are highly energy efficient using less energy than direct driven pumps. Filled with epoxy, rather than oil, the Pondmaster Model 24 pump cannot leak oil into the pond, which can be harmful or fatal to fish and plants. Pondmaster’s Model 24 magnetic drive pumps are low-maintenance with only one moving part, a ceramic shaft and impeller. The Pondmaster Model 24 pumps also feature an ABS case, corrosion-proof fasteners, and heavy duty copper windings, resulting in a durable, energy-efficient, and long lasting pump. The Pondmaster Model 24 Pump is ideally suited for small to medium garden fountains, piped statuary, waterfalls, and ponds. Its unique design gives this pump unmatched versatility. Use the Pondmaster Model 24 pump as a submersible pump or use it as an in-line pump. The included washable foam pre-filter keeps the Pondmaster Model 24 pump running smoothly. This submersible pump will run quietly and faithfully while operating your water feature. The Pondmaster Model 24 pump is equipped to accept 1" NPT threaded fittings. Made in the USA. Three year limited warranty.
Dimensions: 7.25"L x 6.25"W x 4"H, 18' cord
Pump Fittings: accepts 1" NPT threaded fittings
Maximum Head: 20' shut-off
Maximum Flow: 2400 gph
Power: 265 Watts
Voltage: single-phase, 120V
Mfg. Warranty: 3 year limited warranty

Reaction score
Yes J.W., 2' longer cord and greater head. The Laguna Maxflo 2400 is also a sealed magnetic drive pump.
Specifications:
Max Flow 2400 gph
Cord 16’
Power Consumption 100 watts
Max Head 12’ 2"
Solids Handling 5/16"
Warranty 3 Years
1" to 1 1/2" quick click outlet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, thanks for all your info, everyone! I think I'm going to go with popular demand and purchase a Laguna for one of the pumps, the main pump that will siphon gunk off the bottom, and run the waterfall. I'm assuming at least that it will be the heaviest load. The skimmer/bog plant area pump can wait for now. I will plumb for it, though.
Thanks, Pondmaster, for giving me the rebate form for the Laguna as well. However, I'm not finding it for less than $199 .... not sure how to private message you ... :) And, the rebate form is still trying to download ... my computer is being very slowwww tonight .... must be past it's bedtime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, I finally got the rebate form to print (stupid printer LOL). Koiguy, my pond will be about 4,000 gal, but I see that the 2400 is rated up to 4800 gal! So .... now I decide on whether I want more powerful, or less expensive. I'm leaning toward the larger pump, since it's only about $25 more, although I did not see it at the price you indicated, Pondmaster. I saw $186 less the 5%, and then the $35 rebate. Hmm ....

Reaction score
CountryEscape said:
Well, I finally got the rebate form to print (stupid printer LOL). Koiguy, my pond will be about 4,000 gal, but I see that the 2400 is rated up to 4800 gal! So .... now I decide on whether I want more powerful, or less expensive. I'm leaning toward the larger pump, since it's only about $25 more, although I did not see it at the price you indicated, Pondmaster. I saw $186 less the 5%, and then the $35 rebate. Hmm ....

The price went up, you're right the Maxflo 4200 is $186. Last week it was #168, $186 is still a good price.

Reaction score
I have a sun terra rated at 4300 gph. Has not missed a beat this year got it for 140 dollars at menards. It uses 400 watts I believe but that is less than the external pumps I have seen. It is a direct drive pump will shoot a water colum taller than my house from 3 ft below ground level. Works great and has a 5 year warranty!!

Ask a Question