Sunterra Air Pump Question

Reaction score
I have a Sunterra Air pump (approx.18 months old) that has stopped creating air bubbles from the air stones if they are 3' deep. I cleaned the air stones but only get bubbles when the stones are about 6"-8" deep. Any deeper and I get nothing. I figured the valves inside wore out,so I bought another one at Menard's for about $25.This one runs for 2 months and does the same thing ! I got it replaced under warranty and the one I received ran for 36 hrs. before one stone quit working. I checked all the tubing for cracks or holes. Do aeration pumps need check valves in the line if the pump is above the water level ? Maybe I need to buy a better pump ? :confused:

Reaction score
I have a Sunterra Air pump (approx.18 months old) that has stopped creating air bubbles from the air stones if they are 3' deep. I cleaned the air stones but only get bubbles when the stones are about 6"-8" deep. Any deeper and I get nothing. I figured the valves inside wore out,so I bought another one at Menard's for about $25.This one runs for 2 months and does the same thing ! I got it replaced under warranty and the one I received ran for 36 hrs. before one stone quit working. I checked all the tubing for cracks or holes. Do aeration pumps need check valves in the line if the pump is above the water level ? Maybe I need to buy a better pump ? :confused:

Reaction score
DoDad, the box says pond aeration but I think you may be right about the aquarium . Are check valves a good thing to use on lines to air stones or discs ?

Reaction score
DoDad, the box says pond aeration but I think you may be right about the aquarium . Are check valves a good thing to use on lines to air stones or discs ?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i used a HAGEN OPTIMA pump for 3 years straight in my outdoor and basement pond 24 / 7 / 365 until it lost significant power recently. it is an aquarium pump but ran a couple 4" discs great for the whole time. and i think it was $20.00...i just vented a tupperware container and ran it from there outside to protect it from the elements....i still use a 10 gallon size one in my fry tub now but until a month ago the same amount of time in my filters. with 2 1" air stones....$7.00 and still works fantastic....side note: HAGEN makes LAGUNA pond pumps and if you put them side by side...theyre virtually identical.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i used a HAGEN OPTIMA pump for 3 years straight in my outdoor and basement pond 24 / 7 / 365 until it lost significant power recently. it is an aquarium pump but ran a couple 4" discs great for the whole time. and i think it was $20.00...i just vented a tupperware container and ran it from there outside to protect it from the elements....i still use a 10 gallon size one in my fry tub now but until a month ago the same amount of time in my filters. with 2 1" air stones....$7.00 and still works fantastic....side note: HAGEN makes LAGUNA pond pumps and if you put them side by side...theyre virtually identical.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If using a check valve make sure it's the flapper type.
I don't use one because part of my airline is above the waterline.
When I shut my pump off the water seeks its own level in the air line but does not go over the part that's above the pond.
My pump is below the waterline in my filter pit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If using a check valve make sure it's the flapper type.
I don't use one because part of my airline is above the waterline.
When I shut my pump off the water seeks its own level in the air line but does not go over the part that's above the pond.
My pump is below the waterline in my filter pit.

Ask a Question