quarantine tank

Reaction score
I noticed one of my fish has something worng with its eye i plan to take him out and place him in a quarantine tank, Currently my options are a shallow (12-8in) but rather large inflatable pool approx 50gal, or a rubber made containter that about 20 gal that apprx 2 feet deep.

Which would be a better option to keep him in, one thats less deep but more room to swim around or something deeper but less swimming room?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd go w/ the deeper smaller rubbermaid tub cuz if you need to treat it then it will take less meds but how big is the fish? If it's a large koi you may have to go with the bigger pool or he'll muck it up too fast or be low on oxygen but if you add an air stone that would help w/ that. Oh and don't forget to put a net over the top :frown:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
JW is on to something here. I lost a beautiful Kohaku because he jumped out of a hospital tank that was not properly covered.

Reaction score
I agrre, need to know how big he is. And according to what the injury is, that would help to determine the tank. A smaller Koi, maybe under 6" I can see being in the 20 gallon container. Either way you will need to add some aeration. And if it is going to be in there for any amount of time, you will either need to add a filtration system to it or do consistent water changes. The water conditions need to be optimal while treating.
One huge thing you must do no matter what, Koi will jump when put in to a smaller, confined area. Make sure to have it well covered with a net so it does not jump out on you. They can jump amazing heights and with great force. So it has to be very secure. I have seen baby Koi, 2-3" size jump over a foot in the air and over the side of a tank.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
just a thought fish dont like being on there own ... any chance you can put another one in with him, also dont know how cold it is there but a lot of meds dont work at low temps

Reaction score
The koi is guessing 8-10 inch not completly sure as I have not taken him out of the pond to measure him. There will be filtration with either set up and airstones, it will be easier to cover the rubber maid then the pool, but it shouldnt be too much of a problem to cover it.

I noticed the eye problem when feeding so im not sure how bad it is untill i pull him out.

Now i think about it the small pool is a kiddy pool my son used, is this fish safe? its an inflatable one?

Its still warm here 75 here today. I'm also trying to see if there are any other fish with issues, but with 10+ gold fish and 9 koi in a 1000+gal pond covered with water lettuce its hard to see them all.

Reaction score
Whichever pool you use, try to use the water from the pond as long as it is clean or at least a good mix. According to what the eye issue is, you might be able to do a treatment and then return it to the big pond with the herd. I know when mine accidentally get a scrape or minor ulcer, I just treat and put them back in with the rest. Minor things like that can be fixed with just a couple of small treatments.
With good filtration and plenty of aeration, you can keep the Koi in either container.
The kiddie pool is pretty shallow. I have only used mine for new fry. Even though it has more water, I would go with the 20 gallon rubbermaid.
Let's just hope it is somehting easy to treat and quick. Post some pics here if you need help identifying the problem.

Reaction score
the rubber maid is 30 gal, went to go see if i can catch him and realized the my large pond net is broken (go figure). While feeding tonight i sat there with my flash light and looked over most of the fish, they seem to enjoy the light and come right up to it, some even stop to be checked out throughly, I might have noticed one other Koi with a simular issue but not as bad, or it could be i was seeing things, its one of my oldest fish and over 12 inch. If it is something simular should i just treat the whole pond? i dont think i have something on hand that I could feel happy about putting him in.

Reaction score
Without a good description of the problem or some pics, it's hard to suggest how you treat. It could be so many things. If you have a nieghbor or friend that likes to fish, see if they have a net you can borrow.

Reaction score
well was finally able to capture him here are some pics, the water is from the pond. The eye looks to be crusted over with a white/yellowish hard film.

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

Reaction score
Well I have never seen that before. I have never had any eye issues and do not feel comfortable making any suggestions right now. Are there any others that look the same?
I would definitely quarantine it and make sure the water parameters in the quarantine tank are ideal. My first guess is some kind of injury that has became infected. I have treated ulcers and lacerations. But treating an eye is out of my knowledge base. Hopefully someone else will have some suggestions. Sorry!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If it is only 1 eye, then it may be an injury. If it is infected, then you will have to treat with antibiotics. If it is just an injury and not infected, then time should heal it.
I recently had a large Koi with a red eye. He was that way when I got him. After 3 months, his eye looks normal.
I just waited it out since it didn't look swollen or infected.

Reaction score
Its only this one Koi that has the issue and its only one eye that has this, the other eye looks fine. To me it does look swollen, I am going to put some anitboiotice in there today and see hows he doing. From the stuff i have it says to do three days of treatment, after that should i put him back in the pond and monitor him or leave him in the quarantine tank?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I would keep in in the QT for at least a week. You will need to do some water changes if you are using tetracycline. That is what I use.

Ask a Question