Filter(s) for stock tank quarantine

Reaction score
Country
United States
So im building a quarantine tank and a grow tank to keep some plants in the winter and to feed some small fish over the winter to grow, like now I have a couple koi that are small that I want to bring em in and feed them a little till spring.

Now the filter well I guess filters. So, I was thinking of using the bottom drain on the rubbermaid stock tank to tie into a bog section (that'll have the plants with a grow light over it) then a small pump in a little box in the box will flow to a diy window sill planter box trickle filter that's 2-3 levels high that flows down to the tank.

My first question, im still new to this so basically. Will this work pretty efficiently or Will I have issues none stop?

Second, what would be the ideal material for the window box trickle tower. Would I use some bio media or filter pads or both. It will be low flow of course.

Thanks all! Can't wait to get started as soon as I can!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
What water temperature do you expect your quarantine tank to be at during the winter?
If it's not warm enough, your filter and biofilm may not set up and function properly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What water temperature do you expect your quarantine tank to be at during the winter?
If it's not warm enough, your filter and biofilm may not set up and function properly.

I totally forgot about that! Goal is about 65 and I've been told the bio film won't be working at its max. Shoot, Erm, any suggestions for a alternative?

What size tank and how many 'small' fish? Trickle filters work great, but overall flow rate is very important.

It's actually a free tank and I haven't seen it. They used it for there turtles I believe now it's just tanking up space. Right now the fish that will be in there are 2 small (3-3 1/2 inch) koi. It won't ever have more than that for fish load more than likeky. Or one slightly bigger koi. They'll be pulled out when there are 6-7 inches. What would you suggest as a flow rate?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I totally forgot about that! Goal is about 65 and I've been told the bio film won't be working at its max. Shoot, Erm, any suggestions for a alternative?...

It depends on what your setup will be in the end and the temperature conditions where you'll be keeping the tank.

You might find this information useful:

The temperature for optimum growth of nitrifying bacteria is between 77-86° F (25-30° C).

Growth rate is decreased by 50% at 64° F (18° C).

Growth rate is decreased by 75% at 46-50° F.

No activity will occur at 39° F (4° C)

Nitrifying bacteria will die at 32° F (0° C).

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Twice the pond volume per hour is the general guideline for flow rate. In truth, the flow rate for any fish supporting water feature should be based on the total fish mass (weight), but this entails the use of a quite complex formula.
Given that the stocking density of this tank will be higher than that of a pond, I would suggest an even higher flow rate (3X tank capacity/hour).
This may or may not be an undesirable flow rate for the trickle filter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It depends on what your setup will be in the end and the temperature conditions where you'll be keeping the tank.

You might find this information useful:

The temperature for optimum growth of nitrifying bacteria is between 77-86° F (25-30° C).

Growth rate is decreased by 50% at 64° F (18° C).

Growth rate is decreased by 75% at 46-50° F.

No activity will occur at 39° F (4° C)

Nitrifying bacteria will die at 32° F (0° C).

The tank will be in a garage that's no insulated but it is connected to the house. Right now outside is about 40-45f do the garage is 5-10 degrees warmer if the door is closed and plus the heater will keep it warmer. Ideally 78 would be perfect just don't know if I could keep that temp without a expensive inline heater.

Twice the pond volume per hour is the general guideline for flow rate. In truth, the flow rate for any fish supporting water feature should be based on the total fish mass (weight), but this entails the use of a quite complex formula.
Given that the stocking density of this tank will be higher than that of a pond, I would suggest an even higher flow rate (3X tank capacity/hour).
This may or may not be an undesirable flow rate for the trickle filter.

Hmm. I feel filtering won't be a issue. But flow might be. It'll either be to much or two little.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Our own pond had inslulation as part of its build as does the filter housing and pipework , even at -10 along with policarbonate roofing sheets we can maintain without a heater a temperature at the lowest of 7c but at the moment thanx to the funny weather we are having our pond is running at 13.1c

Dave

Ask a Question