Question about pH

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
After 5 years of observation of various systems, experimenting with my pond, and studying/observing aquaculture and aquaponics, I have realized that any alkalinity level can be utilized without concern of diurnal pH fluctuation problems and that even applies to outdoor water garden ponds ...just depends on how the system is managed... Generally, lower the alkalinity, then more management necessary, although of course there are exceptions.

Fact is... whenever there are pH fluctuations to be concerned about, then there are 5 issues to consider:

1) pH test kit is not accurate

2) alkalinity has changed due to an "event"

3) carbon dioxide concentrations has changed due to an "event"

4) water circulation has changed due to an "event".

5) uncontrolled contaminants have occurred due to an "event" (which could range from filtration failure, debris blown into the water, water run off, too many fish, feeding too much in a small window, etc, etc, etc.)

And can be any of those 5.... and some of this @ashirley has already address... I am just reiterating here to denote possible causes....

Last edited:

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am starting to think I was better off not testing. At least I didn't worry that I was doing something wrong.
:) Ha - I understand, but don't feel that way. Don't worry about knowing all the specifics yet. After a while it does all start to make sense.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you have a pet store that does water testing for ponds .I have one here and he gives you a print out of the tests .I pay 3.88 for tests now .It used to be more but he lowered the cost .By the way i bought a new test kit and it must have been bad also and they sent me a new one .I take mine to be tested every once in awhile just to see what it says .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Since I untentionally started a hoodoo in this thread, I feel I must apologize to everyone if my post was deemed inappropriate and also to Charles, who defended the gist of my post, which was simply...sometimes nature is uncontrollable but in most instances balances itself out. Now, granted...I have no experience with expensive Kio and all the work that goes into keeping them. But at the same time, if I am sitting next to my Kio pond and always worrying about their PH and KH and whatever, then the purpose of their existance is lost. They are supposed to help us relax, not stress.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had koi for 15 years (no one warned me ) I found that feeding them 3 or 4 times a week and 2 filters have worked for me and plants in my filters and in my waterfall pond and over aeration .I understand about finding places to test .I live in a rural area of VA and there is petsmart and petco ,but the Danville pet store tests for me .They are all over 35 minutes from my house .I always have to order stuff online and use Webbs and pet solutions online because of there fast shipping .I know of the livingwaterscapes place in NC but that is over an hour from my house

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, I agree with much of the above.

pH testing can drive ya nutty if ya put much faith in all the doom sayers.

KH alkalinity test is far more important than pH.

All ya need is proper KH and good water circulation is all ya need... and this will address all pH concerns. Maintain a fair amount of oyster grit in a bog planter. Bingo bango bongo.

And what "proper" is depends entirely on the pond... everyone's pond is quite unique...

Proper KH and good water cicirculation... you will never have to worry about pH...

pH only helps ya determine carbon dioxide levels, ammonia fish toxicity, biofilter sizing, and help with horticulture and ensure it is susceptible to the fish species.

Koi and goldfish can tolerate a large pH range.

Last edited:

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Since I untentionally started a hoodoo in this thread, I feel I must apologize to everyone if my post was deemed inappropriate and also to Charles, who defended the gist of my post, which was simply...sometimes nature is uncontrollable but in most instances balances itself out. Now, granted...I have no experience with expensive Kio and all the work that goes into keeping them. But at the same time, if I am sitting next to my Kio pond and always worrying about their PH and KH and whatever, then the purpose of their existance is lost. They are supposed to help us relax, not stress.
Thank you for reminding me why I have the pond....to relax. My koi were given to me by a friend so they aren't expensive but I love them.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
The test results are in.
GH IS 0 TO 50 PPM
kH is 50-100
pH is 7.0
Ammonia is 0
No2 is 0
Phosphate is 5

In an effort to reduce phosphate i rinsed the filter pads and removed the carbon as i seem to remember someone saying that carbon would leach phosphate. I netted the bottom of the ponds but got hardly any material in the net. I will test again tonight to see if it has any effect.

On another note, my water will not clear
It clears to maybe a foot down but thats it. I run both mechanical and bio filtration with a pump that pumps 10000 gph. I also run a uv light and it runs 2500-3000 gph. Two waterfalls and the outfeed of the uv for aeration. Full sun all day. We are thinking of installing a sunshade to cover it as i am at my wit end.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you checked your uv bulb because even though it looks like it is working ,it may not be .Also how fast does the water go into the uv as it needs to go slow to be effective .I own a twist uv so the water goes around in a twisting motion .I buy my bulbs at cll pets on ebay .They are much cheaper so I don't mind replacing it .I just bought a sunshade at aldis here 12.99 for the rectangular one 10 by 8

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The test results are in.
GH IS 0 TO 50 PPM
kH is 50-100
pH is 7.0
Ammonia is 0
No2 is 0
Phosphate is 5

In an effort to reduce phosphate i rinsed the filter pads and removed the carbon as i seem to remember someone saying that carbon would leach phosphate. I netted the bottom of the ponds but got hardly any material in the net. I will test again tonight to see if it has any effect.

On another note, my water will not clear
It clears to maybe a foot down but thats it. I run both mechanical and bio filtration with a pump that pumps 10000 gph. I also run a uv light and it runs 2500-3000 gph. Two waterfalls and the outfeed of the uv for aeration. Full sun all day. We are thinking of installing a sunshade to cover it as i am at my wit end.

Test results look good. KH is fine. Ph is OK and should be fairly stable. Please post the result of the pH test taken tonight so stability can be verified.
Is that Phosphate result 5 or 0.5 or 0.05? Which test kit are you using?
Do you know what the pond water temperature is?

Ask a Question