Question about pH

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I am starting to think I was better off not testing. At least I didn't worry that I was doing something wrong.

@ashirley There's nothing to worry about... small pH swings is another one of those manufactured "emergencies" people like to be overly concerned about... even if your pH shows such a variance... there are very easy, simple fixes, such as simply spreading crushed oyster grit (like the stuff fed to egg laying hens) in your pond or using quite small dosages baking soda over a period of time.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@ashirley small pH swings is another one of those manufactured "emergencies" people like to be overly concerned about... even if your pH shows such a variance... there are very easy, simple fixes, such as simply spreading crushed oyster grit (like the stuff fed to egg laying hens) in your pond or using quite small dosages baking soda over a period of time.

To clarify what I wrote...

Small pH swings are simply not a big deal to run around to be worried about...

1~2 point pH swings then that would be more of a concern... and there are very easy, simple fixes to that and there are even permanent fixes... No... big.... deal....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Whatever man... Sounds like YOU deem your self to have the better approach... which appears you think you do have due to this remark... I look forward to reading you when/if it comes to you explaining the event, if you even attempt to explain it.... that is... if turns out @ashirley 's test results do show a change between dawn and dusk pH.... if her test results don't portray such a variance, then I guess you are lucky to be in the clear... (y)

However, if her test results don't portray such a variance, then this only means this particular instance the diurnal pH change was not applicable...

If the case is there is no dawn to dusk pH changes... then I will be the first to admit that I said something that was not correct for her situation and that I stand corrected. Proud to say this if comes to this. (y)

I really don't know what you are referring to. I never made the statement that there would be no diurnal pH fluctuation in ashirley's pond or any other pond. This is a naturally occurring event. Only extreme levels of alkalinity will reduce this diurnal fluctuation to barely detectable amounts. These extreme levels of alkalinity are not the general rule in natural lakes or ponds. But, here again, what scant evidence that has been presented points to faulty test results, unless some other unknown major influencing factor surfaces that indicates otherwise.
Please feel free to quote me anytime, but please do not mis-quote me.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Only extreme levels of alkalinity will reduce this diurnal fluctuation to barely detectable amounts.

I disagree since I have actually observed and proven my self in my own pond the contrast... Simply just an alkalinity of 125ppm (that is 7*dKH) with proper water circulation and filtration, even in a water garden pond, would prevent diurnal fluctuations from occurring.

I would not consider anyone's pond in this hobby, even water gardening, to be representative of "natural lakes" or "natural ponds" even though I understand there is a romantic suggestion to say they can become as such.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I really don't know what you are referring to. I never made the statement that there would be no diurnal pH fluctuation in ashirley's pond or any other pond.

Since this is about @ashirley 's pond... "any other pond" is not the subject...

Until other information is revealed, I lean to faulty test results

Sorry, at this moment, due to the "information that is revealed", you "lean to faulty test results"... Nowhere do you lean to suggest otherwise unless you meant to suggest otherwise when stating..

something else is going on in your pond.

And according to the flack you are giving me... then my suspicion is you do not think the revealed information does NOT point to a potential diurnal pH fluctuation... So, "something else going on" likely means "something else other than a diurnal pH fluctuation"...

Please feel free to quote me anytime, but please do not mis-quote me.

I am quoting you quite accurately.

So... either you are correct in the interpretation of information shared... or I am.... Really that simple and I am quite fine at saying that I interpreted the information incorrectly if turns out I am wrong...

Seriously guy, this is become quite sophomoric now... I will cease and decease until @ashirley shares her test results.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
When we return please just quote me

I did just quote you ... and after considering your subsequent posts... in my previous post...

When we return please just quote me, do not presume to make inferences from my comments. I have no problem stating exactly what I intend.

Then next time... do not presume other folk are simply wrong, suggesting other folk's posts do not have "bearing", when you have failed at every attempt to indicate they are wrong and how they have no "bearing"...

....If my previous paragraph here is not true... then... I do not understand the flack you have been giving me...

You may have no problem stating exactly what you intend, but you appear to have a problem when others have a legitimate position that does not line up with you ...

...unless... it is that you truly do not understand the processes involved and you are simply trying to pass yourself off as if you have known these processes all along... for some self fulfilling gratification or whatever it is... I never understood people that act like that and I am not kind to those that do...

@Meyer Jordan ... if you do not want others to make inferences from your comments... then I suggest you take a different approach to those that do not entirely align with you..

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Going to bed right now... I don't think you know me too well... I will be quite fine in continuing this sophomoric exchange if you want... although... seems to go against what you previously wrote.... accurately quoted below...

It is her thread and I respect that. Comments should be focused on her benefit not a discussion that can easily be held in a separate thread.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
...unless... it is that you truly do not understand the processes involved and you are simply trying to pass yourself off as if you have known these processes all along...

Interesting, I have had the exact same impression about you starting with the very first post of yours (and every subsequent post of yours since) that I read on this Forum when I first joined some year and a half ago.
Until the Ph test results are posted, the original question is not settled.
This will be my last comment until then. I will respect ashirley's thread even if others won't and must have the last word even if it is of no benefit to anyone else.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Interesting, I have had the exact same impression about you starting with the very first post of yours (and every subsequent post of yours since) that I read on this Forum when I first joined some year and a half ago.

You can think of me whatever you want my friend... Fact is... You have yet to actually shown where I am wrong...

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@Meyer Jordan You seem to want to hold this higher standard... I don't hold such high standards... So, if you want to continue this, then I will catch ya tomorrow... :banghead:

Going to bed. Good night. :)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
This will be my last comment until then. I will respect ashirley's thread even if others won't and must have the last word even if it is of no benefit to anyone else.

Notice how I was quite fine about @ashirley having the last word in her post #58...

...that is until you (@Meyer Jordan) wanted to take yet another little jab at me in your next cute post, post #59...

So, a bunch of bunk in this notion of you suggesting, in yet another jab at me, "others won't and must have the last word even if it is of no benefit to anyone else"... that is such a cop-out in an attempt to disguise your contributions in continuing this...

If moderators want to remove posts #59 through #75, then quite fine with me (and I have reported my post here to suggest as much and @ashirley quite fine if you want my posts removed as well)... but... just so you know @Meyer Jordan ... I don't back down from unwarranted, cutesy forum jabs that are directed to me...

@Meyer Jordan Next time... if you think someone is wrong, then show how they are wrong rather than making up stuff and then saying a fella's post has no bearing to the conversation....

Last edited:

Ask a Question