Question about pH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
This reminds me of a heavy rain in deep south swampy LA, when the swamps are cut by a road. A heavy rain throws off the PH (I guess? The salt content?) in the water, so for a couple weeks, the crawfish start crossing the road (like chickens! Lol to get to the other side.) It has no bearing on the topic, but I thought it funny.
Just wanted to share! :kiss:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
However, to clarify, diurnal pH swings will occur even at high Alkalinity only the pH range of the swing decreases as alkalinity increases.

Correct, if carbon dioxide species change quite significantly, then there can also be a diurnal pH swing at "high alkalinity".

My pond is at 214ppm alkalinity (12*dKH) with good water circulation and I have never once had a diurnal pH change... not even a 0.3 point change....

In reef aquaria, I also have witnessed a notable diurnal pH change in 180ppm (10*dKH), but this was result of experimentation with injections of calcium carbonate/carbon dioxide reactor and lower water circulation.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I found it quite interesting. (y)

Meh, don't let the "has no bearing on the topic" type of folk bug ya.

It doesn't. The OP has already stated that comments were getting too heady for her (Post #24). It is her thread and I respect that. Comments should be focused on her benefit not a discussion that can easily be held in a separate thread.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It is her thread and I respect that. Comments should be focused on her benefit not a discussion that can easily be held in a separate thread.

You should think about this the next time you decide to argue with someone when you find what is written by someone else is "less correct" and/or "not helpful" and/or has "no bearing" just cause you want to say so... You have yet to correct me on this matter. I am fine being corrected when pointed out when I am wrong, as I expressed appreciation for me being corrected by the author in post #41.

Personally, I found @KC Crook 's post loosely applicable and quite interesting.

I figure we shall now wait for @ashirley to post her test results... (y) ... that is if she is still with us... which I hope she is... :)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sometimes I feel like I need a doctorate in biology and chemistry when all I wanted was to enjoy the fish.

@ashirley You are doing good. I understand how foreign much of this sounds. I was in those same shoes, that you're in, 5 years ago. I have not yet read anything that leads me to be concerned with your pond. Since this is a water garden pond, your green water is quite fine and should eventually clear once your pond has adapted to the Spring season changes. Sounds like you are doing everything correct as far as I am aware. :cool:

I guarantee... Once you are confident in your test results... tested your water's pH at dusk, tested water's pH at dawn, and testing your KH (alkalinity), then this will tell us much on properly answering your pH question...

....just a quick clarification in case there is confusion, the "dusk and dawn" testing only applies to water pH and water temperature testing. So, you just need to test your alkalinity once.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You should think about this the next time you decide to argue with someone when you find what is written by someone else is "less correct" and/or "not helpful" and/or has "no bearing" just cause you want to say so... You have yet to correct me on this matter. I am fine being corrected when pointed out when I am wrong, as I expressed appreciation for me being corrected by the author in post #41.

Personally, I found @KC Crook 's post loosely applicable and quite interesting.

I figure we shall now wait for @ashirley to post her test results... (y) ... that is if she is still with us... which I hope she is... :)

I should have been more specific. I was not referring to KCCrook's post but rather your post #38.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I never try to over think things about my pond .If one thing does not work then I try another thing .Sorry but I am not really into all the technical stuff with ponds .I don't test for every thing and never have .If I did it would drive me nuts .;)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I should have been more specific. I was not referring to KCCrook's post but rather your post #38.

I disagree. My position here in response to @ashirley question is diurnal pH changes and how it may be applicable to her question and situation... Post #38 of mine talks about just one method how someone can determine where their pond's "diurnal pH change" alkalinity threshold stands (which is what I actually have done), which this threshold is different for everyone's pond since everyone's pond is actually quite unique in many aspects.

YOU may find that the post has no bearing since appears your final conclusion resides on inaccurate testing, that is until further tests are shared. However, due to my final conclusion (until further tests are shared), the post does have bearing in this thread since you are not the only one involved in this thread's conversation.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I never try to over think things about my pond .If one thing does not work then I try another thing .Sorry but I am not really into all the technical stuff with ponds .I don't test for every thing and never have .If I did it would drive me nuts .;)

I completely understand and this does not bother me... and I think is quite fabulous. (y)

I think what matters is that people should grab on to what they do understand and then do THAT what they do understand... However, tough to know what you do or do not understand, if you are not ever presented with the content or never receive an understandable presentation of that content... Ya understand? ;):D:p

And just because someone does know the technical details... There is not always an emergency that people need to react to... What is defined as an "emergency" is different for everyone... Many folk in the nishikigoi world view the entire world of rock water gardening practicing no water changes as an emergency and I think they are wrong. :shame:

This hobby should be peaceful, relaxing, a place where people come to find their center. :headphone: ... A place where their pond helps to create paradise at home where they can meditate. :cool:

@sissy I sincerely appreciate what you wrote there since your post allowed me to express these sentinments. :happy:

Last edited:

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am starting to think I was better off not testing. At least I didn't worry that I was doing something wrong.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I completely understand and this does not bother me... and I think is quite fabulous. (y)

I think what matters is that people should grab on to what they do understand and then do THAT what they do understand... However, tough to know what you do or do not understand, if you are not ever presented with the content or never receive an understandable presentation of that content... Ya understand? ;):D:p

And just because someone does know the technical details... There is not always an emergency that people need to react to... What is defined as an "emergency" is different for everyone... Many folk in the nishikigoi world view the entire world of rock water gardening practicing no water changes as an emergency and I think they are wrong. :shame:

This hobby should be peaceful, relaxing, a place where people come to find their center. :headphone: ... A place where their pond helps to create paradise at home where they can meditate. :cool:

@sissy I sincerely appreciate what you wrote there since your post allowed me to express these sentinments. :happy:
I now understand that there is much I don't understand

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
However, tough to know what you do or do not understand, if you are not ever presented with the content or never receive an understandable presentation of that content...

I agree and emphasize that the content should be understandable to the person that it is presented to or for.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I agree and emphasize that the content should be understandable to the person that it is presented to or for.

Whatever man... Sounds like YOU deem your self to have the better approach... which appears you think you do have due to this remark... I look forward to reading you when/if it comes to you explaining the event, if you even attempt to explain it.... that is... if turns out @ashirley 's test results do show a change between dawn and dusk pH.... if her test results don't portray such a variance, then I guess you are lucky to be in the clear... (y)

However, if her test results don't portray such a variance, then this only means this particular instance the diurnal pH change was not applicable...

If the case is there is no dawn to dusk pH changes... then I will be the first to admit that I said something that was not correct for her situation and that I stand corrected. Proud to say this if comes to this. (y)

Last edited:

Ask a Question