Question about pipe freezing temps

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Folks,

Down here in TEXAS (you just read that with a Texan accent didn't you) we don't see much below freezing but tomorrow we are going to see 24F and I'm struggling to figure out if the pipes on my pond need covering. I'm talking about the ones above ground like the ones here:

20160806_173911_zpshpucubj3.jpg

If water is constantly flowing am I good in just keeping the pumps on or is there a danger?

Thanks! :)

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
How long is it supposed to be that low? I'd agree you'd probably be fine with circulating water if not too long, especially if it gets above freezing during the days.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
How long is it supposed to be that low? I'd agree you'd probably be fine with circulating water if not too long, especially if it gets above freezing during the days.

Sorry. Yeah its only supposed to be that cold at night. During the day it will be above freezing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I do think you'll be fine with running water through those pipes. But if you are wanting to be extra cautious it wouldn't be hard to throw a couple of blankets or tarps - or anything that would help hold heat - over them to add a bit of insulation.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use pipe insulation on all my hoses ,cheap and easy fix .Buy it at hardware stores in different diameters for different sizes of hose .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If you insulate the pipes still leave the pumps on. What is the pond water temp? If it is above 40 F circulation should be enough.

Ask a Question