question about replacing UV filter parts

Reaction score
in getting my pond ready for spring here in southeast PA (which feels like it started in early February), i've uncovered the pond, am cleaning up leaves and accumulated debris, and i've also given my UV filter an inspection.

i disconnected the UV filter at the same time i shut off and removed the water pump last fall.

The unit is made by Emperor Aquatics, #02025 (http://www.emperoraquatics.com/smart-uv-sterilizer.php). I opened the unit, pulled the UV bulb and also the quartz sleeve. i'm going to buy a replacement bulb, but i'm not sure if i should be replacing the sleeve also. when i opened the unit, there was a lot of dirt inside, and the quartz sleeve itself is pretty discolored - yellowish brown. i can post pics if you think that would help.

i know that the previous owner said he didn't replace the bulb and based on other things we've found in the house since we moved, i believe him...they say these bulbs have a 13 month or x number of hours lifespan, so between the old bulb and the dirty sleeve, i don't know how much UV was actually getting to the water - but it stayed pretty clear last summer.

Anyway, the bulb is about $60 and the sleeve only $34. I read somewhere that the only way to really clean the sleeve is with an acid bath or something like that - i have 2 kids and work a lot so i'm thinking the relatively low cost of the new sleeve would be worth the time/effort saved in a DIY quartz-sleeve-cleaning-project...but maybe i'm wrong.

Maybe it doesn't need to be replaced at all.

Thoughts?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If the sleeve is yellowed and bad discolored it would probably benefit you to replace it. They can be cleaned with a simple water and vinegar 50/50% solution. ( LOW ACID CLEANING) If the new one is removed and cleaned about every 6 months it shouldn't discolor like that for several years. Also to make the UV light and sleeve work longer simply use the light when needed and discontinue use once the water is clear. In most cases if a pond is running correctly and there is enough plant growth a UV light only needs to be run a few days to a couple of weeks a year. This will save you a lot more on replacement costs as you could probably use the same bulb and sleeve for many years if you'll only run the UV when needed.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ebay has some great pricing on replacement bulbs...in particular ..LSE inc. thats LIGHT SPECTRUM ENTERPRIZES. you can also find them online
@ www.LIGHTNEED.com
retail stores want $27.00 each for my replacement bulb. i got a package of 2 from LSE for $12.00 from their ebay store. I might add..as i understand it... theres only two styles of bulbs 2 pronge and 4 pronge. if you know your watt size, and number of pronges on the plug bulb. you can find your bulb.

Reaction score
thanks fishin4cars - i hadn't considered running the light intermittently. maybe i could set it up on a timer.

since posting initially, i found the # for Emperor Aquatics and spoke with them - they said the sleeve is actually supposed to be clear...so what i have is light-years away from that. i'll be replacing it.

thanks for your help.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the sleaves are quartz glass and tuned to intensify the effective range of the light spectrum needed to most efficiently kill alge. and yes they should be crystal clear. i assume you tried cleaning the one you have?
dont run your U.Von a timer...you should be able to clear the water, run it a few extra days for good measure. disconnect it clean it and store it for the next year! thats what i always did. running it on a timer, with the frequent on / offs shortens the bulbs lifespan.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah... about 10 days a year. it would clear the pond inabout 3 days ...i would run it an extra week disconnect it clean it and store it away. i used a 9 watt tetrapond, pumped 1000 - 1200 gph thru it. on a 1200gallon pond. i plumbed it between pump and filter.

Ask a Question