Question on water change

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You need a pump you don't really always need a skimmer or a bottom drain
My skimmer, is my only mechanical pre-filter! the net collects all large debris, such as leaves and flower petals and the pad really makes a difference in keeping the water crystal clear. A pump alone wouldn't work for my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm thinking the goal is a healthy, happy pond! Kind of like kids -- they don't have to be "scrubbed and polished" in order to thrive! I'm finding that healthy water has a bit of a tint to it and algae showing up in greater or lesser quantities is more of an indicator where the balance is (or isn't.) My waterfall filter has a drain in the bottom which allows really easy, small, frequent water changes. Every pond and every pond keeper is a little different.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hummmm...I thought it was!

All pond keepers desire a certain amount of water clarity for viewing the fish. With a DKP this desire takes on a life of its own (almost an obsession). A DKP would include bottom drains, sieves, settlement chambers, protein skimmers and even ozone generators in addition to the standard equipment in the quest for that ultimate 'Gin Clear' water clarity.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
All pond keepers desire a certain amount of water clarity for viewing the fish. With a DKP this desire takes on a life of its own (almost an obsession). A DKP would include bottom drains, sieves, settlement chambers, protein skimmers and even ozone generators in addition to the standard equipment in the quest for that ultimate 'Gin Clear' water clarity.
Very well explained! thank you!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Against my better judgement, I am going to add another 'worm' to this can.

Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS) have been in use for many years with great success in production of fish, shrimp and other seafood items. One feature of this method of production is its very low use of any water exchange. Recent years have seen advances to this system to the point that Zero Water Exchange is now a reality. That's right "Zero" water exchange. No new water is added to the system during the entire production run. To make matters more interesting, verified reports are coming in attesting to a reduction in pathogenic infections within these systems. This is attributed to the complete absence of any new source water which may carry these pathogens.

Could the absence of water changes be biologically and pathologically more healthful for pond fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS) have been in use for many years with great success in production of fish, shrimp and other seafood items. One feature of this method of production is its very low use of any water exchange. Recent years have seen advances to this system to the point that Zero Water Exchange is now a reality. That's right "Zero" water exchange. No new water is added to the system during the entire production run. To make matters more interesting, verified reports are coming in attesting to a reduction in pathogenic infections within these systems. This is attributed to the complete absence of any new source water which may carry these pathogens.

Could the absence of water changes be biologically and pathologically more healthful for pond fish?

I'm not surprised by that.
Stable water conditions equal a stable slime coat on the fish.
A stable slime coat is better able to protect the fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We were told by an old time pond keeper when we first started out that it would take three years for our pond water to mature. And once that happened to just leave it alone. I had no clue what he meant, but I think he was a pretty smart guy.

We tend to think new water = fresh, clean, clear, healthy water. But who says the water that's in the pond isn't really the better water for the fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Meyer; is the definition of 'Gin Clear' the visual state of your pond water after consumption of a bottle (or something less) of gin ? So, if I don't drink gin and look at my pond, will it ALWAYS be 'just' water clear?

heh

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Meyer; is the definition of 'Gin Clear' the visual state of your pond water after consumption of a bottle (or something less) of gin ? So, if I don't drink gin and look at my pond, will it ALWAYS be 'just' water clear?

heh

It is actually a term used by the elite(?) of Koi keeping to describe a level of water clarity that should be striven for.
If the Koi had there 'druthers, a bottle of gin (or similar libation) would be more appropriate, for the water would be considerably on the turbid side. Carp are happier that way.

Reaction score

Actually most ponds and aquariums are basically very similar to traditional (Recirculating Aquaculture Systems) in that we generally recirculate the same water over and over and our aquatic creatures are more for are personal pleasure than consumption.
Here is a Wiki article on (RAS), if you read to the end of the article you'll find this paragraph.... "Home aquaria and inland commercial aquariums are a form of RAS where the water quality is very carefully controlled and the stocking density of fish is relatively low. In these systems the goal is to display the fish rather than producing food. However, biofilters and other forms of water treatment are still used to reduce the need to exchange water and to maintain water clarity.[21] Just like in traditional RAS water must be removed periodically to prevent nitrate and other toxic chemicals from building up in the system. Coastal aquariums often have high rates of water exchange and are typically not operated as a RAS due to their proximity to a large body of clean water."
Else where in the article it mentions other more complex methods of removing nitrates without changing water changes, and of course having lots of plants and other organics in our ponds changes the equation, but its interesting they say that where aquariums happen to be close to large bodies of clean water they prefer to not use (RAS) and still use the standard large water change methods.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@Mucky_Waters , I think when they mention costal aquariums they are referring to something like the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
Or the Vancouver Aquarium, which I am more familiar with. A couple years ago I happened to do some work for the guy who designed the Vancouver Aquarium. I actually talked to him about this particular subject of water changes and flow through systems. I asked him specifically about water quality of their source water and his comment was yes they do use a type of flow through design, but because their water source isn't always the cleanest and they have different species of sea creatures and fresh water creatures with different water requirements (eg: temperature, PH, salinity) they must test and treat the source water before running it through their aquariums. Essentially they do on going water changes but are done in a continuous manner much like trickle water changes.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Also with commercial public aquariums, as with DKPs, water clarity is an all important factor. After all, these facilities are constructed for the viewing of marine life.
It has already been stipulated that water changes (at some level) may be desired and sometimes necessary in DKPs. My focus of discussion has been on the necessity of water changes in either eco-ponds or hybrids, where the full force of Nature-supplied checks and balances can be allowed to function. This is the secret behind many successful contemporary RAS and is the basis for the emergence of Zero Exchange as, not only an economically viable system, but one that also provides top biosecurity.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am constantly seeing references to "the other harmful substances", but I have yet to see any actually identified. If any harmful substances other than Ammonia and Nitrite are in a typical Garden pond's water, someone put them there

I just read this article about "diluting fish growing hormone through water changes, to avoid stunting the fish growth!" I've never read this before, I'm just curious to know what you think

https://www.kokosgoldfish.com/TheImportanceOfWaterChanges.html

Ask a Question