Question on water change

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
gemma; in 6 years, I've never changed any water at all. I do fill-ups depending on if the bog or stream is diverting water, or because of evaporation, but no water changes at all. And I have nearly 100 6-12" gf in 2700 gallons. But I have lots of plants and a bog/wetlands upflow filter plus waterfall. And I am on a well re water source. So, I'm one of those that doesn't prescribe periodic water changes as necessary.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't do water changes either. If we get a good rain fall it gets a water change. Ow all I do is add water when needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I didn't mean to start a debate over pros and cons of water changes! I just wanted to know the best method when I (for whatever reason) do a partial water change :)

@Tula My filter doesn't back flush, I just rinse the Media pad, and my plants are all on the upper section completely separate from the pond
How much water do you change and how long does it take you to refill the pond?
@Gemma , I'm not exactly sure how much water I pump out. The pump is 2000 GPH and I back wash for about 3-4 minutes. It takes about 12 minutes to refill :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
@MitchM
be proud of yourself :)

Unethical: not morally correct.
Lmao

Hey Dutch...maybe I can use this example of a closed ecosystem to give you an idea of what I'm thinking about.
Here is an example of a perfect ecosystem. This is a terrarium that has not been watered since 1972.
It is a completely closed system that is in balance. No watering, no pruning, no weeding, no fertilizing.
Pretty cool, in my opinion.

https://www.greenprophet.com/2013/05/terrarium-david-latimer/

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is a terrarium that has not been watered since 1972.
It is a completely closed system that is in balance. No watering, no pruning, no weeding, no fertilizing.
Pretty cool, in my opinion.
A terrarium isn't a pond or anything but a terrarium...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
No, but it is a balanced ecosystem.
If you can understand what that means, then take it to the next level and understand that if you, as an aquarist or pond keeper, need to perform water changes, add fish food, add plant food, add CO2, clean filters, etc., then you no longer have a balanced ecosystem.
Therefore, whatever you put into your aquarium or pond, you also need to take out.
If you can minimize that interaction, then you will have an aquarium/pond that is more able to take care of itself.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You have to make a balanced ecosystem. And this is an optional thing to do. You don't have to do anything. And no you don't need to take out things when you put them in the pond, unless you Have To. I put a rock in my pond, according to you, I must remove this? and the water I added the other day? damn... I don't want a pond (my own preference) that takes care of itself, im making it, to stay busy. Same for an aquascape, you make it, dedicated to maintenance. This is how (most of the time) they stay Healthy, and look appealing.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I haven't done a water change in one of my ponds ever.

Agree, with Mitch if set up correctly and kept in balance, no reason for water changes. Just what has worked for me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You have to make a balanced ecosystem. And this is an optional thing to do. You don't have to do anything. And no you don't need to take out things when you put them in the pond, unless you Have To. I put a rock in my pond, according to you, I must remove this? and the water I added the other day? damn... I don't want a pond (my own preference) that takes care of itself, im making it, to stay busy. Same for an aquascape, you make it, dedicated to maintenance. This is how (most of the time) they stay Healthy, and look appealing.

I'm not talking about rocks.
When you're ready to discuss the chemical/biological aspects of an aquatic ecosystem, we can revisit this.
Chemistry sets are fun, as are reef aquariums and high tech fw planted aquariums. The next level is trying to work with what nature provides, without going to a store and buying chemicals.
You'll get there, I'm sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We never do water changes either. We take water from the pond to water gardens on occasion and add water when the level gets low, but we never change water for the sake of changing water. And honestly I'm glad we weren't in the pond hobby when that was considered a necessary part of pond keeping - our water is expensive... I sure don't need to be dumping good water down the drain!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry Gemma, I didn't mean to start a debate that's not wanted.
No need to apologize, a healthy debate can be very educational, I just didn't want to be the one causing it :D

This difference in opinions really came as a surprise to me, I thought for sure regular water changes were a common practice among fish keepers, now I really don't know what to do:(

Ask a Question