Question re: Tapping into 2" pvc line for fountain ...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This is kind of a bizarre thought but I received this carp/ koi fountain statue for a gift Christmas. ( Pictured below ) ... I'm placing it on the edge by my pond and it runs on a 160 gph pump with half inch tubing, not included. Does this sound feasible to avoid dropping a pump in the pond with another wire running to the outlet ?

I was thinking of cutting a 3 way Jandy valve into the 2" pond return. Then, reducing the side output of the valve way down
to accommodate 1/2" rubber tubing running to the copper line of the statue. My pump is external pulling from the main drain at approximately 3500 - 4000 gph ( 1/4 hp ) ... Would I get enough pressure out of the line to create a fountain ?
Will it work? Just dreamt this up but it would be quite easy, clean and turn on and off with the Jandy.

They make a saddle to tap 2" pvc but you would have to add a valve that would protrude. If I ran my pond in the winter, the water would freeze in the section where it would sit in the valve so that idea is out. Thanks if anyone has thoughts...

btw ... this little boy isn't so little as it weighs 95 Lbs ...

Attachments

• Curling Carp.jpg
    Curling Carp.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 249

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Be sure to post pics after you get it all figured out and operating -- what a nice fountain and I'm sure it's going to look great!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If it was mine, I would put in a T. Install a ball valve on the part heading to the fountain to control the flow. I use the ones you can buy at lowe's, they open and shut nicely and can be taken off during winter.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_209668-34146-P200SUE+2___?productId=3351052&pl=1&Ntt=american+ball+valves

You can then use the ball valve to control the flow to the statue. I can turn mine down to a trickle. It works fine.

So you've done this and get enough pressure? That's a good idea. I think they make a 2" T with a smaller side outlet but not sure how small. Then what did you reduce it to? Awesome! You mean you take the fountain off during winter, not the valve. You cemented the pvc in permanently, right?
Quite less expensive than the Jandy valves ( $50 ) though I have 2 in my system and they're great.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you're going to leave the ball valve in place I would recommend you upgrade to a brass valve - we have three we have to replace this year because they failed. They get super hard to turn - almost impossible actually - and the handles deteriorate in the weather and get brittle. So combine really hard to turn and brittle plastic and you have broken handles. Not fun.

Pretty fountain! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is a screw on ball valve. I remove three of them when I remove my external pump for the winter. That leaves open piping to freeze up without issues.

With my pump I get enough flow to my 1000 gallon tank I have to dial it down or that pond overflows. That stock tank pond has two - two inch outlets, one two inch inlet.
It pushes a lot of pressure.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you're going to leave the ball valve in place I would recommend you upgrade to a brass valve - we have three we have to replace this year because they failed. They get super hard to turn - almost impossible actually - and the handles deteriorate in the weather and get brittle. So combine really hard to turn and brittle plastic and you have broken handles. Not fun.

I only use the one from lowes, all white, screw on. Not the red handled ones. The white ones have been out on the pond for 4 years now still working great. They are removed for the winter since I remove my pump. Very easy to open and shut.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So you've done this and get enough pressure? That's a good idea. I think they make a 2" T with a smaller side outlet but not sure how small. Then what did you reduce it to? Awesome! You mean you take the fountain off during winter, not the valve. You cemented the pvc in permanently, right?
Quite less expensive than the Jandy valves ( $50 ) though I have 2 in my system and they're great.

The two of the ball valves are cemented in place, one of the valves is in place with the rubber coupling. That one feeds the stock tank pond, I remove it completely for the winter. The other two I unscrew and leave one part on the pond piping, the ball valve part gets stored on the outside deck for the winter, with the ball valve open i.e. drains the water out, attached to the piping that runs the ponds. In the spring I haul the pump and piping out reattach, takes around 15 minutes.

After the ball valve you could reduce the size to what is needed for the fountain. The fountain could stay out for the winter, as long as the piping drains out.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I should have added - we did the same thing, except ours feeds a fountain bowl which trickles over the sides in my bog.
only use the one from lowes, all white, screw on. Not the red handled ones. The white ones have been out on the pond for 4 years now still working great.

Good to know @addy1 - I'm so annoyed with the ones we installed. Ours have blue or black handles. They are horrible and so frustrating when you took the time to plan ahead to plumb them in and then they are a bear to use. So that's my project for the first warm day. Grrrr...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Thanks Lisa ...
I ran into that once with that type of valve on a pool. Now they're all Jandy types. The handle was removable and eventually cracked. If I cut and cement, I want to do it once. The pvc valve get's glued, the brass can easily be replaced as it is threaded and they do last for a long long time.

Hmm! I'm just wondering about the reduction to 1/2" tubing. Have to go to Home Depot, Lowe's or a plumping supply. So, maybe a 2" x 2" x 1" Tee and work off the 1" with a brass ball butterfly valve, easily reducible to
a 1/2" brass fitting... By George, I think we've got it !!! ( Pygmalion / My Fair Lady ) Thanks @Lisak1 and @addy1 ... 3 heads are better than one ladies :) ...
Will post a pic when finished ...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We did exactly that with a fountain bowl in our bog - we used flexible clear tubing to run up about 3 feet into the bottom of the bowl which fills up and then spills over into the bog. We get plenty of pressure off the 2" line.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We did exactly that with a fountain bowl in our bog - we used flexible clear tubing to run up about 3 feet into the bottom of the bowl which fills up and then spills over into the bog. We get plenty of pressure off the 2" line.

What size clear tubing was that @Lisak1 ... and was the pressure enough for a stream coming out of a fountain. I don't want a dribble, but even if it were throwing a 2' stream, I'd be more than satisfied .... Then again, if it too much of the stream, as @addy1 said, easily just turn the valve down. So glad I thought of this & U2 came to the rescue. Using a pump with another line going into my receptacle drives me nuts. I'm already running 2 pumps, 2 uv's, an air pump, Led light transformer and a blower. That's 7 with 1 receptacle left and don't want to use it... lol ...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I know what's coming! @Meyer Jordan ... ... I had already spoken to the company who makes the statue as far as leaching copper into the pond. I also realize how deadly copper is to the fish and how much stress it can cause. I spoke to the owner of this rather large company who supplies many large retailers throughout the country. He had said they were asked this question before. As far as 10" of 1/2" copper tubing leaching, he said that it was nil, if any. If it was a long run system constantly circulating, within a week you might lose 1/2 your fish. He said and I fact checked that ambient copper levels in ponds have to be kept most definitely below 0.015 ppm in order to minimize chronic stress to the fish which will eventually kill them if above that level. He knew that! I didn't.
So, please, what do you think or know re: an 10" piece not running 24/7 either ???

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Since Copper is present in all water, my question would be: Do you know what the current Copper level is in your pond? Would adding a very small amount (remember, we are talking micro-grams for toxicity) increase your present level to a level of concern? Best to be safe!
FYI- 1/4"of Copper tubing will leach, maybe a wee amount, but since Copper accumulates I would have a problem with any addition to the water column.

Ask a Question