Questions about doing ponds in two phases

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I am new on this forum....I have a new backyard pond that we dug ourselves.....8' X 16' X 19 " deep. We added a liner and subliner and there is a 3.5 foot center island. There is a filter and pump immersed in one of the deep ends along with a pre filter we made using an old milk crate and mesh chickenwire. A fountain runs off of the filter and is on 24/7.
The pond has a shelf on about half the area and there are two ramp areas for critters who find that easier.
I now want to add river rock to the top of the liner to the perimeter of the pond.
1) Can someone advise me ~should I just lay the rocks on top of the liner that is extending out about a yard from the side of the pond?
2) I saw the idea that seemed pretty good that Pecan left about adding perimeter rocks~ I prefer to see if I can add flat flagstone type river rocks and overhang them over the edge of the pond.....wouldn't that hide the liner that is above the water?
3) If I add the perimeter rocks and soil and add plants (I need to do this asap it seems to prevent the algae situation, right?) can I finish the job in say 6 months by adding the Biofalls and skimmer at that time?
Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and in your area ponds will go dormat soon any ways .Chicken wire is metal it will rust and kill off fish and also make sure the sides are raised so no water from rain runs in and also make sure you have some type of overflow so when you get heavy rains or snow melt the water and fish do not get washed out .Aslo shelves allow predators so if you are planning on fish they may get eaten

Reaction score
Kristi Kelty said:
I now want to add river rock to the top of the liner to the perimeter of the pond.
1) Can someone advise me ~should I just lay the rocks on top of the liner that is extending out about a yard from the side of the pond?
"Should" you or "can" you? There's no reason I know of that should compel you to do so. You certainly can add the rocks if you want to because you like the look.
Kristi Kelty said:
2) I saw the idea that seemed pretty good that Pecan left about adding perimeter rocks~ I prefer to see if I can add flat flagstone type river rocks and overhang them over the edge of the pond.....wouldn't that hide the liner that is above the water?
Depends on the shape of the pond edge. Best to set a rock there and look at it to see if it does what you want. Not sure how someone not being there, or even having a picture would have a clue.
Kristi Kelty said:
3) If I add the perimeter rocks and soil and add plants (I need to do this asap it seems to prevent the algae situation, right?) can I finish the job in say 6 months by adding the Biofalls and skimmer at that time?
If by "algae situation" you mean you don't want algae...adding "perimeter rocks and soil and add plants" would increase the growth of algae, not decrease it. Unfortunately someone has been pulling your leg or doesn't know the first thing about algae or plants. Very common on the internet.

Reaction score
welcome kristi, and I agree with sissy. you want to make sure edges of pond are higher than ground to stop heavy runoff of soil and possibly contaminants getting into pond. whether you build up the edges slightly and then place you flat stone over your liner.. and shelves, floating islands etc do add appeal to the pond but if you plan on having fish predators may find it easier to get at fish and yes remove the chicken wire..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for the responses! Appreciate it.
1) To clarify my question, I was unclear in #1 as to the safety of the liner if I put heavy rocks directly on top of it to surround the pond....(ie. should something be placed under the rocks and over the liner?) I have a huge load of river rock ready to go and just want to be sure that I will not damage the liner.
2) In #3 I was saying that I believe that in order to keep the algae down I need to add the plants soon into my pond....As the shade they will provide will reduce algae buildup.
3) Thanks for the suggestion on keeping the perimeter stones sloping away from the pond......
K

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks all! I still am curious as to if it is possible to just have the pond and pump/filter/fountain now......and then add the Biofilter waterfall and skimmer about 6 months from now along with a small stream.....I use manual pool net twice a day to also keep the leaves out as much as possible....
K

Reaction score
Kristi Kelty said:
1) To clarify my question, I was unclear in #1 as to the safety of the liner if I put heavy rocks directly on top of it to surround the pond....(ie. should something be placed under the rocks and over the liner?) I have a huge load of river rock ready to go and just want to be sure that I will not damage the liner.
Depends on the kind of liner, whether rocks have sharp edges, how gentle the rocks are placed and how heavy heavy is. However, it wouldn't matter if a rock did punch a hole in liner around the edge because it's above the water line.

Kristi Kelty said:
2) In #3 I was saying that I believe that in order to keep the algae down I need to add the plants soon into my pond....As the shade they will provide will reduce algae buildup.
It is true that the growth of algae will be reduced when light is reduced...but only if light is the factor limiting growth. In a normal pond nutrients are the limiting factor for algae growth. However, the amount of nutrients produced by a pond is plenty for the water to be considered green.

Add plants if you like plants. But to limit algae...someone is pulling your leg.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
winters coming so no need in your area for a filter ,just put in maybe a temporary one made from a tote for now .If you are really worried about your liner you could do what I did before I put my boards on my .I got heavy duty garbage bags and put on top of the liner and then put my boards on top .Use 100% clay kitty litter to plant in that's what addy does and a lot of us followed her lead .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52790] totes doubled up to make them stronger a tank adapter and I use lava rock
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52793]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52794]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52795]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52796]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lemon gras and other grasses really clean the water well and you can pick them up on the almost dead plant shelves at garden centers and save there poor little lives .You would be amazed what regular plants work in ponds .I know addy and jw are a great source and colleen has some that can survive Canada .I did my pond and then went deep then added 3 years a later a bigger filter and then put in a second filter and then made both filters bigger ,one I did last year and the other one this year so it has been 10 years of phases of change for my pond .But seems I always stay with my lava rock

Ask a Question