Quick and inexpensive predator guard and leaf guard

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A lovely pond indeed however I live in the UK so I will have to source my pipes elsware plus my pond is round so I will have to re think the pipework a little .
Many thanx againfor the idea .

Dave

Another option is to heat-bend PVC pipe into a circle. Any propane-driven torch, such as we use here to burn weeds, will easily heat small-diameter pipe for bending. The only problem that I'e found with doing it is scorching the pipe. If I were to do a round one, I'd make a form and bend around that a little at a time: anchor one end, heat a 3' section, bend into place, heat the next 3' section, etc. I've done it with 2" PVC pipe successfully.
Bob

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Another option is to heat-bend PVC pipe into a circle. Any propane-driven torch, such as we use here to burn weeds, will easily heat small-diameter pipe for bending. The only problem that I'e found with doing it is scorching the pipe. If I were to do a round one, I'd make a form and bend around that a little at a time: anchor one end, heat a 3' section, bend into place, heat the next 3' section, etc. I've done it with 2" PVC pipe successfully.
Bob
Many thanx for the tips Bob we'll give it a go and see what we can come up with (y)

Dave

Reaction score
We were concerned about predators in our area, mainly Herons. We had been cleaned out several times before. To accomplish this I constructed this quick screen using 1" pvc conduit and 90 degree elbows. It floats if you wish or you can elevate one end and float the other. It cost less than $20 for all the pvc fittings and cement. The screen was separate. Zip ties attach the screen.

Supplies: 1" PVC Conduit 10' lengths (variable number depending upon size). 4 each 90 degree elbows. At least one coupling. Fast dry cement. 8" zip ties. Larger or smaller pipe may be used depending upon pond size. All parts are one stop at Home Depot, Lowes, or other hardware store.

JimView attachment 94858 View attachment 94859
I have a 6000 gal. pond with Heron visitors the first year. Hung two rows of fishing line with CDs hanging from them every 10 feet. No Herons for the last five years.
They are very reflective, very bright in the sun.Recently saw a Heren look over our fence but immediately flew away. Hope this will help those with Heron problems.
Jimbo

Ask a Question