quick plumbing question

Reaction score
ok if i had an advantage 15 bead filter and 2 surface skimmers.... where would all the water go? would the 2 surface skimmers go to a waterfall if i had one and the advantage 15 go back into the pond? or all go to the waterfall? kinda confused...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well depends on how you do your piping. Everything could go to your water fall or you could just have one of the skimmers go to the waterfall or both skimmers. If you have all go to your waterfall it will have a lot of flow!

If you have your pump, skimmers everything going to the waterfall make sure it can handle the flow without water loss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I build ponds I use tpr's. They return the water below the waterline. On the 15 I put a 3 way valve on it so all I do is turn the valve so the water goes to the waterfall or below the waterline.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well I have no clue what a tpr is, but have valves on the lines to control the flow is always a good idea. I have valves on my skimmer line, bottom feed line, and the line to the water fall and bog to direct flow to the part that a)needs it the most :helm2: i want it to go at that time lol.

We also want to be able turn off the stream / waterfalls when we are out of town, so no blockage = pond emptying happens while we are gone.

Reaction score
DoDad said:
When I build ponds I use tpr's. They return the water below the waterline. On the 15 I put a 3 way valve on it so all I do is turn the valve so the water goes to the waterfall or below the waterline.

what is a tpr and water returning below the waterline sounds great how far do you go down? and which direction should it come out? same direction as the waterfall or opposite side or does it even matter?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
usually you want your water return to be opposite of your bottom drain and or skimmers.

So most likely have your below water return and your waterfall close to each other to push waste towards the drain and skimmers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like to but in at least 3 tpr's 1 straight across the pond from the skimmer and one on each side pointing to the wall with the skimmer on it.

Reaction score
hey dodad can you send me a pm about a good skimmer you recommend and how many you think i should need for a 33x23 pond thanks what what is a tpr????

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought a hayward pool skimmer, has an auto shut off if the water gets too low and very wide weir. nice leaf basket also. It is working great. Works with a external pump.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
I bought a hayward pool skimmer, has an auto shut off if the water gets too low and very wide weir. nice leaf basket also. It is working great. Works with a external pump.

can you post a link to which one you bought and the pump you use with it?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sure, the pump is a sequence 4200 and i also have a sequence 3500, have not figured out which on to use yet. We may plumb the 3500 to run on a timer for the water fall and stream.

Let me find it for you

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Ask a Question